Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Leaking oil bottom end

AlanW
honda305.com Member

Leaking oil bottom end

Post by AlanW » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:08 am

[quote="SMBH"]You will need to drain the oil if you remove the left side cover, you do not need to drain the oil for the right side that's the kickstart cover.

If you do not have the Bill Silvers CD's or Book's they are a MUST have infact they are the bible for the early Honda CB/CL ect bikes you can do a complete strip down using them I have.[/quote]
Hi, is there any oil in the area of tacho drive, i had a tacho seal leak and it gets on the fins then runs down, its an easy one to check. Alan.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Oil Leak

Post by conbs » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:01 am

fab60, It is hard to tell but the left side looks like the case cover is bent right where the oil seems to be showing up. If you change the gasket better examine that closely.

Just a guess but, it kind of looks like you may have 2 separate leaks. When you pull that right cover look for an oil seal leaking. It looks like the oil may be coming out the holes at the bottom of the cover.

As has been suggested, you could probably get a better bead on the source if you wipe everything off really well and then put some talc powder on to trace where the oil is coming from.

fab60
honda305.com Member

Post by fab60 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Conbs, does that left side crankcase cover supposed to be straight with no bent correct? If so that's probably my problem....how can I fix this or do I need to be a used to replace. Has anyone used a sealant along with the gasket to seal this before? This bike is getting out of control...a money pitt! haha

conbs
honda305.com Member

Left Side Cover Leak

Post by conbs » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 pm

YES! These bikes can become a money pit. Patience and smart shopping are the only defenses you have.

The left side cover has to be straight enough where the gasket goes to create a seal. Like I said, I can't tell for sure from the picture but, it looks like it is bent a little right where you are seeing the oil underneath. The only way to tell for sure is to take it apart and put a straight edge across it. If it is straight, then what? You need to get a really good bead on where the oil is coming from. Please stop putting it off and try the talc. You might want to spray carb cleaner on it to make sure it is really clean and then ride it a short ways. Dust it with talc on and see what it says.

If it is bent I suppose you could try to put some JB Weld on it to create a flat surface but, it would be a chore getting it to match the plane of the rest of the gasket surface. Unfortunately, it sounds like the money pit beckons. Look for a used one on eBay or beg for one from someone on this site.

Best wishes on your project.

hefyjefy
honda305.com Member

Post by hefyjefy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:29 pm

If its any consolation I have the exact same problem. I have replaced all the shaft seals under the right side cover (5 if I recall), also in desperation the seal for the oil pump mounting, (convinced myself that was the problem at one point). Still leaks, although not as much, and I kid myself that it SEEMS to be getting better. I did wonder if takes a while for new seals to "bed" on the old, worn shafts. A long shot...
Geoff

fab60
honda305.com Member

Post by fab60 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey hefyjefy, so its still leaking.....so do you still ride the bike and just check/fill up with oil and ride that darn thing?!!

Elvis
honda305.com Member

Researching prior posts on Oil Leak Bottom of 1965 305 Dream

Post by Elvis » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Blaine in Santa Cruz CA 1965 survivor 305 Dream ( running great but dripping table spoons of oil)

Did the original post ever get resolved?

I think I had one oil leak from the breather ( I think from the breather as I routed the rubber tube from the head ( not the little ones on each cylinder) to the back of the motor rather than have it putting oil in my paper filter. I found the oil dripping from the breather onto the back of the motor.

A smarter mechanic than I routed the vent line like a British bike which is to say he made a T and ran one line down with a plug and one up along the top frame member. Now NO Oil Leaks from that.

About the same time I found the parts to rebuild the electric starter and did so but did not replace the oil seal. It didn't seem to be leaking but now I see a little oil on the front of the motor in the area below the starter but after a moderate ride I get 2+ Tablespoons of oil dripping from the rear brake arm, the center stand mount, drive chain cover. In short it appears to be blowing back and then dripping down.

I'm seeing an oil seal on the schematic, not sure if that's the only one or not. Is it a known leaker?

anyway one problem solved? another created. If this has been answered in the past, I did not see it in a search.

Blaine

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home