□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil Filter / Crud Catcher Washer

Lassociety
honda305.com Member

Post by Lassociety » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:41 pm

I will jump in on the other side of the fence. I had the benefit of looking down on the gears because the whole side cover wasnt on and I could visually see the alignment problem. Perhaps if you were just looking through the small case cover hole, the alignment wouldnt be obvious. Also the distance between the gears is not very far so I could see the chain flexing to move over and on to the other sprocket. this would eventually chew up the sprockets and make metal, in my opinion. Who wants metal in the engine? Eventually the chain might be damaged and maybe break, causing big foreign object damage. Not worth the risk. For example, if the drive chain between the engine and back wheel were off by a 16th of an inch, it would have several feet to move over and thus a very small angle of deflection. With only an inch between gears, a small misalignment will make a larger deflection angle.

Lassociety
honda305.com Member

Post by Lassociety » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 am

Well, I bought another CB77 a few weeks ago and just got to looking at the filter today, and as expected there was no washer. Not even on the wrong side, just not there. I imagine it was able to move back and forth on the shaft a bit, and as I also expected, there was wear to the chain sprocket. It wasn't terribly bad, but enough to wear away the "bluing" that is evident on the sprocket and make shiny where the wear was occurring. (not evident on my other Superhawk which has lots more miles)

Also the filter was Very difficult to get apart, I needed a shop press to press it apart. It was pretty bad in there, but I got it all cleaned up so it goes together well now. Where does one find a new rubber o-ring for this part? Several times I've ordered an o-ring kit and never gotten any of the larger ones like the filter ones, or the larger ones that go in the engine case filter cover.

So I guess I'm in the market for one of these washers... How much? I guess private message me and we can set something up.

Mike

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Just pm me with details. I will ship one out for free.

Lassociety
honda305.com Member

Post by Lassociety » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Good news, I found the washer behind the main drive chain tensioner bracket. So at some time it was put on the wrong side, and fell there. Still wondering where to find the huge rubber orings that go on the filter case cover.... any ideas?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 pm

If you put the washer at the pin end of the shaft the washer will not allow the filter cap to grind into the aluminum case cover.
The chain will be at the correct alignment HONDA meant to have. ........lm
Geeky160 wrote:Not trying to argue but how much misalignment could that thin washer cause? I moved mine to the proper outside position but didn't notice an alignment issue.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:35 pm

Use the ones you have. ................lm
Lassociety wrote:Good news, I found the washer behind the main drive chain tensioner bracket. So at some time it was put on the wrong side, and fell there. Still wondering where to find the huge rubber orings that go on the filter case cover.... any ideas?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home