Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

whats wrong???!!!!

matt
honda305.com Member

whats wrong???!!!!

Post by matt » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:37 pm

I am fortunate enough to own a 67, 305 scrambler. Its a great bike but not running well. When accelerating it appears to only be running on one cylinder with the other one kicking in and out of fireing. Just wondering if any of you knew any hints about whats wrong. im trying to fix it all my self to keep cost down. Any hints would be nice.<br /><br /> matt<br />p.s. already rebuilt the carbs so i think thats fine

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: whats wrong???!!!!

Post by kustommusic » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:26 pm

Matt, I would check the spark plugs first. See if you can tell a difference in how they look after a misfiring run,might be your first clue. If one appears wet(washed out) that cylinder is too rich, or not firing.If its white-ish too lean. With my bikes I seem to find most problems in fuel lines or petcocks plugged. Are your float levels right? Next you need to look at points and their setting. Also how old are the spark plugs, and resistor boots. You can check the boots with an ohm meter,see if one is higher resistence, plugs I dont mess with,if they are suspect I toss 'em. Hows that for a start? Good luck.Steve Greer

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:39 am

also please check your charging system and battery charge. often times when the battery got low, my CA175 would only hit on one cyl.<br /><br />after changing the rectifier to a new one from radio shack, it worked great from then on

Jawja
honda305.com Member

Post by Jawja » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:52 pm

Rectifier at radio shack, please explain. What do you ask for, what #, how much? Sounds great. Please clue me in. Thanks..............

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:26 pm

Jawja wrote:<br />Rectifier at radio shack, please explain. What do you ask for, what #, how much? Sounds great. Please clue me in. Thanks..............<br />
<br /><br />According to Bill Silver &quot;the part # is KBPC2505 w/1/4&quot; center hole,rated @ 25 amps plus a suitable heat sink&quot;<br />I dont know if this part is still available from them or not as I have never bought one. NOS rectifiers are still available from several suppliers for $25-50 bucks USD.<br />I would also recomend buying Bill Silver's manuals from this site(click on marketplace at left of yer screen) as there is valuable info such as this in it.<br /><br />georGe

pwild53
honda305.com Member

Post by pwild53 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:40 pm

Don't overlook the simple things...such as a bad or high resistance sparkplug wire!<br /><br />Phil

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:49 pm

oh, the radio shack rectifier is available for about $5.<br /><br />http://204.29.80.50/restore/diode/diode.html<br /><br />i did this with a 71 ca175, and with my 68 T200, works like a charm and extends battery life.<br /><br />keep in mind that I think Bill Silver is in GBritain, the number for the rectifier in the US is &quot;Bridge Rectifier part number 276-1185&quot;; that is the number i have bought it under the last couple of years.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home