□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Head gasket leaked on first run:(

305nutt
honda305.com Member

Post by 305nutt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:59 pm

Some bikes do use stretch bolts, but the 305's use long studs with acorn nuts and sealing washers on top. Jethro, the right stuff is excellent, its 20$ for a small tube, I use it everyday on cars, but on my bikes, ultra black is pretty much exactly the same, but you can buy it in a small tube for about 7 bucks. I wouldn't use honda bond as you don't have a whole lot of time to work with it, at least with the right stuff or ultra black, you have a little while so you can take your time going back together. I also cleaned the threads up real good on the studs and used antiseize on them as well. Good luck. nutt

GeorgeP1111
honda305.com Member

Post by GeorgeP1111 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Ok, I got a after market head gasket from Ohio Cycle in the mail yesterday and the two green O-Rings. This gasket was about the same thickness (1.23mm) as the other new one I had used which leaked (1.24mm D&K) so I used a thin film of some Permatex Halomar HPF on the gasket around the edge of the cam chain slot, outer edge of gasket, and the O-Rings.

I rehung the motor and fired it up for 5 minutes to get it heated up and then let it cool back down (did this twice). Now tomorrow I'll drop the motor and re-torque it and put it all back together. Hopefully this will take care of my leak :-) ?

George
CA77

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Nice one George. I did pretty much the same thing. I ended up using my original gasket though as it looked to be in pretty good shape still. I put a film of the Permatex Form-A-Gasket #2 on the entire surface of both sides and also the 0-rings. Put anti-sieze on the threads and torqued to 22 ft lbs multiple times. Ran it last night and there was a trace of oil. I can't tell if it was residual from the initial leak or not. But I think I will follow your lead and run it through a few heat cycles and retorque. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'll try to remember to share my results as well.

Good luck!
Jethro

GeorgeP1111
honda305.com Member

Post by GeorgeP1111 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:53 am

Just a follow-up to my posting above. The new head gasket with a light coating of Halomar HPF is in and staying leak free. :-)

George

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home