Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil gushing out of the exhaust ports

smokerider
honda305.com Member

Post by smokerider » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:24 am

hi ben,

i was having trouble posting so i emailed you. i hope that's ok.

i'm having the same problem with my superhawk. i just acquired it late last year. it didn't do it when i first got it going, but when i set out on a ride one day, one of the plugs fouled and it started spewing oil out the exhaust. not to mention how dangerous it is oiling your rear tire, but it sure messes up a new pair of asics. after replacing the fouled plug, it runs fine, but pumps oil like crazy. i parked it and thought i'd do a little research over the winter, but am just now getting to it. the funny thing was that , like you said, when you pull the plugs they are both dry and no evidence of fouling. have you found anything yet?

dan

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:36 pm

Only 2 possibilities that come to my mind, blocked oil return from the head,(wrong or improperly seated gasket) or incredibly hogged out valve guides or stems! Both ports are leaking?

smokerider
honda305.com Member

Post by smokerider » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:41 pm

thanks, cutter

i haven't even rolled it out yet this summer. i've been getting my rd350 and 160 dream ready for ebay. late last summer it also developed a float bowl gasket problem and i just parked it. got carb kits over the winter. when i get some of my garage back, i'll dig into it. thanks again.

dan

leonvjames
honda305.com Member

Post by leonvjames » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:51 am

It is not an oil leak from the o rings that seal the return lines thru the head gasket? This would leak oil out just below the exhaust ports. if the o rings have hardened up they could break down.
Leon.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home