Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1965 Superhawk restoration - restarted

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
ASG85
honda305.com Member

1965 Superhawk restoration - restarted

Post by ASG85 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I have restarted the restoration of a Superhawk from last March '11. This is a link to a thread I started in the general section which contains info on the motor ser # and frame #, a brief summary, and some photos I posted of the bike and the major damage that caused the breakdown. The bike still started and ran but would not go, transmission destruction!!!

http://www.honda305.com/forums/new-memb ... t7073.html

I have a Clymer service manual, Honda 250, 300 Shop Manual, and got both Bill Silver's books, so I have good references. And, of course, this forum, great resource, thanks to all for all the comments, tips/tricks, etc.

Since then, I have taken the engine/tranny completely apart, cleaned the cylinder, cylinder head, split case and many of the internal parts. Here is a short list of what I have done in the last two weekends. Again, the engine in the bike has been restored once before in the lat 70's.

- Pistons, cleaned and measured at 59.65/59.67
- Cylinders, cleaned and measured at 60.0
- Started breakdown of Cylinder Head (as I go through this I will surely be asking a few questions), but I am looking up as much as I can on the forum.
- Oil Pump, started to inspect, clean, and tear down.
- Crankshaft/Connecting Rods, cleaned, inspected,and performed the forum and Clymer service manual deflection check. Will check all the bearings and other areas with a dial gauge.

I cleaned mostly with simple green, which worked wonders on just about everything to include all of the nooks and crannies but I had to use a lot of elbow grease. I used brass brushes, steel brushes, old toothbrushes, and other to clean between the fins and all the surfaces of all.
Attachments
During the piston cleaning, simple green worked well but had to soak, brush, soak, repeat......
During the piston cleaning, simple green worked well but had to soak, brush, soak, repeat......
Cylinder after cleaning, came out really well compared to what it was.
Cylinder after cleaning, came out really well compared to what it was.
Need to tear down, clean and lapp the valves.  Did the pour test, as described in the forum, and they moderately leaked
Need to tear down, clean and lapp the valves. Did the pour test, as described in the forum, and they moderately leaked
Looks like it is in good shape
Looks like it is in good shape
White tag on wiring - 1964
White tag on wiring - 1964

Mike Mullins
honda305.com Member

resto

Post by Mike Mullins » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Looks like you're off to a good start. Keep up the good work !
Mikeyrx
"a free motorcycle is a bottomless hole intended solely for money"
66 CB 77
76 BMW R75/6
99 GL 1500 trike
75 & 79 XS 650's

ASG85
honda305.com Member

Piston cylinder Hone

Post by ASG85 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:51 am

The cylinders seem to be in good shape and spec out as good within tolerences. What is the best way to hone these cylinders?

I have checked all the parts stores and all they have are 4" honing stones for auto. I have not yet checked the cycle shops around.

Any suggestions? Comments?
Attachments
Piston Cylinder 1.jpg
Piston cylinder 2.jpg

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:58 pm

I believe I puchased a suitable size hone at Kragen / Oreilly auto parts store. Otherwise, search Ebay or Amazon.com for either a stone or ball hone to fit.

Davo

ASG85
honda305.com Member

Cylinder Head Teardown

Post by ASG85 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:19 pm

OK, I have began the teardown of the cylinder head and have removed both cylinder head side covers, Inlet/Exhaust rocker arm pins, and the right side cam shaft. I cannot, however, remove the left cam shaft. It will not release from the Cam Sprocket. Any suggestions? (See photos)

Next, are the rocker arms. Is this ok wear on all four of them?

The Tappet adjusting screws, are these ok? Bill Silver manual says look for "flattening"
Attachments
Screwdriver marks the split where the left cam shaft should release from the cam sprocket??
Screwdriver marks the split where the left cam shaft should release from the cam sprocket??
LeftCamShaft2.jpg
All four valve rocker arms
All four valve rocker arms
Flattening??
Flattening??

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Re: Cylinder Head Teardown

Post by Hoosier Tom » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Ed just answered this the other day.
http://www.honda305.com/forums/restorat ... 13-45.html

HT
ASG85 wrote:OK, I have began the teardown of the cylinder head and have removed both cylinder head side covers, Inlet/Exhaust rocker arm pins, and the right side cam shaft. I cannot, however, remove the left cam shaft. It will not release from the Cam Sprocket. Any suggestions? (See photos)

lix
honda305.com Member

Post by lix » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:25 am

I also had a lot of troubles removing this part.

I had some hard wood between the camshaft and the egine frame. Otherwise the bearings came out when I hit the axle. Then put a nut on the axle and hit it wit a hammer. Hope this helps.

I can take a picture if you want when I'm home. It can be very stuck ;)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home