Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CB72

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

1964 CB72

Post by toastyhamster » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:54 am

Just out of the van:

http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/IMG_2057.JPG

Frame powder coated, hagons fitted, and wheels in the right place:

http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/IMG_2171.jpg

Be a while before there's major progress, parts for paint haven't gone yet, and waiting for the Stafford Classic show next week to drop off the parts I need chroming and plating. Then I can think about the engine, which hasn't run since 1982.

cappinbob
honda305.com Member

Post by cappinbob » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:24 pm

looks great, what rear shocks do you have?
1967 superhawk

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:10 am

Hagons. Had a bit of hassle fitting them though, they had to send out some different clips to lower the top cover as it was going to catch the frame. Looks ok though, I was a bit worried but they've come in alloy with the Hagon name on them so they actually look quite cool.

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:20 pm

Picked up the paint today, here's a quick piccy:

http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/petrol_tank.JPG

Some confusion over whether the silver should be gloss or half gloss, general opinion in the paint industry is that it was half gloss originally, but I went for full shiny gloss anyway. The Dupont/Imron paint codes posted in the paint forum are not available, certainly in the UK (nothing available from before 1980 and the codes should have more letters in them apparently)- so mine is now BMW Titan Silver, which looks smart and I can get an aerosol mixed for the engine cover to match with no trouble.

I need a new tail light and the chrome bits back from plating before I can start more rebuilding, so more pics to follow.

Very very annoyingly when I took the fixing screw off the painted engine top cover the spring and the retaining clip pinged across the garage and have disappeared into oblivion. This is known in the UK as a "pingfuckit"moment. Definitely.

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:16 am

Not much progress since a month ago - rear mudguard is in, centre stand on, and much polishing of hubs and top yoke.

I've decided to rechrome the exhausts, so I've spent some time grinding down the bodge welds somebody had done - they won't be perfect but I don't really want to spend 500 quid on NOS, and the Apex ones look rubbish. Hopefully they'll look pretty good, the majority of the dents are on the underneath, and only one weld should be slightly visible and that's near the pipllion footrest anyway.

Pic here:

http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/IMG_2239.jpg

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the chromers, I've got a week off work next week and if it's not ready by then I'll be very annoyed, I'm really waiting for the wheel spindles and some brake and fork bits to get this back to a rolling chassis.

Nothing done on the engine yet - I took one of the rocker caps off to have a go at polishing it, they're going to be a bit of work to get shiny. Good news is that there was no rust on the valve gear.

Been collecting parts off ebay too, now got a set of tank badges, a steering lock cover and a few other bits.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:37 am

She's looking clean. I have a feeling its gonna turn out real nice. Keep up the posts.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home