Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What a concept - A Girl Bringing Back Her 1966 Super Hawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:31 pm

I've been watching.
Sort of curious how what you want to do comes out.
I've been rebuilding starter motors and heads as business is slow at this time.
Did just sell 2 of my rebuilt clutches this week.
We are going to the RENO Air Races in September again so the $$$ come in handy.. .....................lm
sarals wrote:HI LM!!!!

I was hoping to hear from you!!!

Thank you, my friend!!
LOUD MOUSE wrote:The 180 crank engines used the CB72 then the CB72 (L) after that.. ..................lm

sarals wrote:I'm curious, is the CL72/77 rotor and stator interchangeable with the CB72/77?

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Well, LM, I just got off the phone with Rick of Rock's Motorsports, so I've had questions answered. I'll copy this to the electrical forum, too.

Rick is a very nice man, and he was extremely helpful.

FIRST, the stator that Rick's makes and sells for the CB350/360 is the SAME ONE that he used in the kit for the 305. The reason he doesn't sell the kit for the 305 any more is because the stator assembly has to be mounted in the original alternator housing. It requires shimming to be centered vertically, and Rick said that people were just not willing to go through that process, it was too involved. So, he stopped offering the kit.

I told him I had a Podtronics regular rectifier, and he is familiar with it, but wasn't sure of the circuit it uses. He said I could use his stator with it, but he couldn't guarantee that it would work properly. He described the Honda charging system as being a simple load dependent system that produced X wattage, it relied on a specific load to work, and it was unregulated (which we know). It produced just enough power to light the all of the STOCK light bulbs and keep the battery maintained. If larger wattage bulbs were installed, the system could not produce the required power for the higher demand and the battery would die due to lack of sufficient charging voltage.

He said the 12.8 VDC that my bike produces should be enough to keep the battery up, but when I mentioned that the battery would go flat within 30 minutes with the headlight on, he said "You have a problem, then. It's not working right."

AS for the Podtronics regulator, as I mentioned, Rick wasn't sure about it. He said he'd be happy to sell me the stator, but I'd need to send my alternator housing to him so he could install the stator in it properly. He wasn't sure, as I said, about the Podtronics. He knew his regulator would work (three phase in, two wire DC voltage out), and he'd feel better if I used it instead of the Podtronics. He asked if I could provide technical information to him about the Podtronics, and I will try to find some.

HE said he knew Honda made a rotor that had greater magnetism than others. I said, yes, it's the one with the "L" stamped on it. He said, Yes, that's what he'd always heard. Get one, he said (I think that's what I have).

SOON, I am going to pull my alternator off the bike and send it to Ricks and have him put a new stator in it. And, I'll buy one of his regulators, too.

PROBLEM (should be) SOLVED!
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:50 am

I have purchased and installed four of the Rick's CB77 stator and R/R kits from his previous production runs from about 4-6 years ago. Two were his early style, and two were the later style with the switched voltage sensing wire to the R/R. They all have worked very well. I noticed the offset in coil position from standard when installed in the stock housing, and shimmed accordingly. This was about 1.5mm. Nowhere in the included instructions was this mentioned. Guess I got lucky there. So, for you electrical folks, how much difference would this coil offset make? Three of these bikes had LED taillight bulbs, and one also has the Candlepower lens assembly (excellent light pattern) with a 35/35W H4 bulb. Looks like we can just obtain the CB350 kit and shim accordingly? Any input is appreciated. Regards, Chase

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi Sara

If you read LM's message carefully he said that the lower output (L) rotor came later.

This is the early one on my recently acquired CL72 engine.

G

sarals wrote:Well, LM, I just got off the phone with Rick of Rock's Motorsports, so I've had questions answered. I'll copy this to the electrical forum, too.

Rick is a very nice man, and he was extremely helpful.

FIRST, the stator that Rick's makes and sells for the CB350/360 is the SAME ONE that he used in the kit for the 305. The reason he doesn't sell the kit for the 305 any more is because the stator assembly has to be mounted in the original alternator housing. It requires shimming to be centered vertically, and Rick said that people were just not willing to go through that process, it was too involved. So, he stopped offering the kit.

I told him I had a Podtronics regular rectifier, and he is familiar with it, but wasn't sure of the circuit it uses. He said I could use his stator with it, but he couldn't guarantee that it would work properly. He described the Honda charging system as being a simple load dependent system that produced X wattage, it relied on a specific load to work, and it was unregulated (which we know). It produced just enough power to light the all of the STOCK light bulbs and keep the battery maintained. If larger wattage bulbs were installed, the system could not produce the required power for the higher demand and the battery would die due to lack of sufficient charging voltage.

He said the 12.8 VDC that my bike produces should be enough to keep the battery up, but when I mentioned that the battery would go flat within 30 minutes with the headlight on, he said "You have a problem, then. It's not working right."

AS for the Podtronics regulator, as I mentioned, Rick wasn't sure about it. He said he'd be happy to sell me the stator, but I'd need to send my alternator housing to him so he could install the stator in it properly. He wasn't sure, as I said, about the Podtronics. He knew his regulator would work (three phase in, two wire DC voltage out), and he'd feel better if I used it instead of the Podtronics. He asked if I could provide technical information to him about the Podtronics, and I will try to find some.

HE said he knew Honda made a rotor that had greater magnetism than others. I said, yes, it's the one with the "L" stamped on it. He said, Yes, that's what he'd always heard. Get one, he said (I think that's what I have).

SOON, I am going to pull my alternator off the bike and send it to Ricks and have him put a new stator in it. And, I'll buy one of his regulators, too.

PROBLEM (should be) SOLVED!
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:30 pm

'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 pm

Graham, it took a minute, but I understood what LM was saying.

Thanks for the links! BTW, I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB72-CB77 ... 1438.l2649
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:00 pm

OOPS!
I meant the one for $20.00 that has ended. ...............lm

sarals wrote:Graham, it took a minute, but I understood what LM was saying.

Thanks for the links! BTW, I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB72-CB77 ... 1438.l2649

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home