Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What a concept - A Girl Bringing Back Her 1966 Super Hawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:01 am

LM!

Oh, my, it's great to hear from you! I'm fine, yes. I had a minor health issue a month or so ago, but I'm past that and back to training to race my bicycle again this year. :)

I'm glad to hear Lori is good! Anything involving the brain is scary - scary - and I am so glad that's apparently over.

What's going on with your eyes??
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Hello there!.
Tis a pleasure to read your message and know you are OK.
Lori had a virus on the brain again and took 3 weeks to take care of that.
I'm in the process of having my eyes corrected (3 months) and can sort of "See the end of the road! :-). ....................lm

sarals wrote:I actually did a little work on the Old Girl day before yesterday. I managed to purchase a shifter assembly a while back and I finally got around to replacing the shifter arm, the piece which attaches to the splined shift shaft. The assembly I bought had much better splines than the original on the bike did, BUT the threads for the clamp bolt were completely stripped out. I strayed from originality by using a longer bolt and a cap nut to clamp the shifter arm to the shift shaft. Nice! However, that repair brought out how worn the pins in the clevises on the shifter adjustment arm are. I haven't ridden the bike yet to see how or if it shifts any differently, but just sitting on it and shifting while it's on the center stand not running feels better. It has to be improvement, right?

Not always, but here's hoping!

One day, when I have a few less irons in the fire, I really do need to definitively answer whether or not the charging system works. I lean towards that it doesn't, but that needs to be proven.

It's nice to see all of the progress made by others here, as well as seeing new folks!

And the regular, old friends!!
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:09 am

Graham!

It is GOOD to hear from you! C-max taxis? Hmmm.

Your C-max is going to last you forever at the rate you drive it!

My Prius was fun, but when it started to cost (a lot) of money to take care of, well....the displays were a treat, though. I do wish it had been a little more fun to drive. I can not quibble about the fuel mileage or the room, though. It had a lot of cargo space behind that back seat, more than the C-max does.The C-max shines on space when the rear seat is folded down - it's BIG in that configuration, bigger than the Prius was! And the C-max is truly fun to drive. It will really scoot when I put my right foot down. It's quite amazing! And yes, it's showing an average fuel economy of 41.4 MPG over 2100 miles right now. Makes me smile!

Now if I'd just get out and ride that old Super Hawk....

How is your CB-72 coming along?
G-Man wrote:Sara

Great to hear from you! 41.5 is pretty amazing for a US gallon!

There are plenty of C-Max taxis around New York City. It's a nice roomy car. I have done over 15,000 miles in mine (despite being in the US 50% of the time) and it's not 12 months old, yet. I find it very good for my troublesome back.

If I could buy an electric version with the range of a Tesla, I would jump at it.

I thought the Prius rental cars I've had were fun, but only because of the dashboard graphics.... :-)

sarals wrote:
G-Man wrote:My CB400F used to do 65mpg (British gallon - 4.5 litres) and my Ford C-Max 1.6 Turbo diesel does pretty much the same on a run; 55mpg around town.

Of course we have to pay £1.35 a litre for the precious stuff. That's £6.13 a UK gallon or $7.84 per US gallon...... :-)

G
Graham, I've little update for you! In November I traded my Prius (170000 miles and needing expensive repairs) in on a new "leftover" 2015 Ford C-Max SE. It's a bit different than your C-Max in that it's a hybrid. It has a 2.0 liter gas engine and then the electric motors. 190 horsepower, and I believe it, it's VOLUMES more fun to drive than my Prius ever was! Neat, neat little car! I'm averaging 41.4 MPG, too.
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:18 am

I had cataracts both eyes.
Had right side removed.
Found throat virus and was given antibiotics.
Get second cataract removed a month later.
Had a pucker of a lens in left eye removed a month after that.
Now putting 4 different drops in the left eye 3 times a day for going on 2 months.
No real pain just the bother and it appears I'll need glasses to read but I'm accustom to that.
Just waiting for the time I can get a new prescription for them.
OH WELL!. ...................lm
sarals wrote:LM!

Oh, my, it's great to hear from you! I'm fine, yes. I had a minor health issue a month or so ago, but I'm past that and back to training to race my bicycle again this year. :)

I'm glad to hear Lori is good! Anything involving the brain is scary - scary - and I am so glad that's apparently over.

What's going on with your eyes??
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Hello there!.
Tis a pleasure to read your message and know you are OK.
Lori had a virus on the brain again and took 3 weeks to take care of that.
I'm in the process of having my eyes corrected (3 months) and can sort of "See the end of the road! :-). ....................lm

sarals wrote:I actually did a little work on the Old Girl day before yesterday. I managed to purchase a shifter assembly a while back and I finally got around to replacing the shifter arm, the piece which attaches to the splined shift shaft. The assembly I bought had much better splines than the original on the bike did, BUT the threads for the clamp bolt were completely stripped out. I strayed from originality by using a longer bolt and a cap nut to clamp the shifter arm to the shift shaft. Nice! However, that repair brought out how worn the pins in the clevises on the shifter adjustment arm are. I haven't ridden the bike yet to see how or if it shifts any differently, but just sitting on it and shifting while it's on the center stand not running feels better. It has to be improvement, right?

Not always, but here's hoping!

One day, when I have a few less irons in the fire, I really do need to definitively answer whether or not the charging system works. I lean towards that it doesn't, but that needs to be proven.

It's nice to see all of the progress made by others here, as well as seeing new folks!

And the regular, old friends!!

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 am

LM, I hear you!

I have cataracts, but they're not bad enough to be dealt with yet.

The real problem I have is pancreatitis, I've had it twice now, and it's not fun.

Age. Ugh. Right?

I go out and race my bicycle, anyway. :)
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:53 am

Getting old isn't much fun at times but the good times are great!. ...........lm
sarals wrote:LM, I hear you!

The real problem I have is pancreatitis, I've had it twice now, and it's not fun.

Age. Ugh. Right?

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:19 am

That is a fact!
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Getting old isn't much fun at times but the good times are great!. ...........lm
sarals wrote:LM, I hear you!

Age. Ugh. Right?

1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:00 pm

I took her out for a good ride yesterday. There was a vintage car race going on at Laguna Seca, and one the cars, a Triumph TR4, was owned and driven by one of the people I work with. He knew I liked old things that make noise and go fast, so he told me I should come out. I absolutely agreed, and then thought "vintage cars...hmmm...I think it would be highly appropriate to show up on a vintage motorcycle".

She ran great, just great. That new shifter works beautifully, she snicks from gear to gear very cleanly, never even hinted at missing a shift. I can't remember her shifting as well as she does right now. The engine just purrs (well, more like "roars"), and it runs very smoothly. I was cruising along the highway from my house to the track at highway speeds, and she had ample power. There is a 16% grade leading to the track entrance, and she putted right up that hill in third gear at 25 MPH and didn't mind at all.

The only hitch in the ride was a noise that seems to be coming from the front wheel. Bearings? I don't know, they're the originals, and even though they were cleaned and repacked I do need to investigate.

The day was dampened somewhat when my friend crashed and totalled his beautiful TR4. He snap spun in one of the turns and went head on into a k-barrier. He's fine, but his car is not. Very sad.

Here's a YouTube video of the morning. You can see my SuperHawk sitting outside the garage door.

https://youtu.be/ngdbI3nLJJE
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home