Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1961 CB72 Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:06 am

Just returned from the RENO AIR RACES.
Neither good or bad.
Hope they go back the the old format.
I ask as I use a shop with the same name here in San Antonio. .................lm

\
G-Man wrote:LM. Yes, about 1hr from my house. Great prices and workmanship.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Is your chrome shop in GB?. ....................lm
G-Man wrote:I got a bit of a surprise this week. The chrome work that Prestige told me was going to be 4-5 months (they are busy people) was ready in 2 months. It's just fabulous unwrapping parts that were once a nasty mess of peeling chrome and rust then finding them all smooth, clean and shiny.

Hoping for some workshop time this weekend.

G
Last edited by LOUD MOUSE on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:22 am

LM - I understand now. My place is a family-run business in Yorkshire.

Air races sound like fun. Were the changes for safety reasons? We had a bad crash a year or so ago and organizers are getting more conservative in their displays.

The Duxford (seen in many Battle of Britain Movies) air show was rather more tame this year.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Just returned from the RENO AIR RACES.
Neither good or bad.
I ask as I use a shop with the same name here in Sn Antonio. .................lm

\

G
G-Man wrote:I got a bit of a surprise this week. The chrome work that Prestige told me was going to be 4-5 months (they are busy people) was ready in 2 months. It's just fabulous unwrapping parts that were once a nasty mess of peeling chrome and rust then finding them all smooth, clean and shiny.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:25 am

I forgot that I'd picked these up. I found a really nice, clean set of rims that I send off for plating. I may use these instead of the ones I had earmarked for the project. These have much less corrosion on the inside.

Prestige don't 'over polish' and take care to leave the OEM logos clearly in place.

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:50 am

The event has 5 classes.
STRAP ON (really small with 4 cylinder opposed engines to P-51, HAWKER FURY, SEA FURY, and a couple of CZECHOSLOVAKIAN fighters.
All are highly modified you can bet.
This year it was decided to pay 1 thru 3 and the others get nothing.
Lots of competitors didn't sign up and I don't blame them.
Most of us go to watch pilots fly airplanes low, fast. close and to the left.
This year it was a given VOODOO (P-51) would win and as there was no real competition and it did.
I blew 2 tires (one on each side) on my 5th wheel trailer to the cost of $900.00 and now have lots of repair to do with the trailer.
That will have to wait as I'm behind in the shop.
OH WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lm

G-Man wrote:LM - I understand now. My place is a family-run business in Yorkshire.

Air races sound like fun. Were the changes for safety reasons? We had a bad crash a year or so ago and organizers are getting more conservative in their displays.

The Duxford (seen in many Battle of Britain Movies) air show was rather more tame this year.

G
Neither good or bad.
I ask as I use a shop with the same name here in Sn Antonio. .................lm

\

G

G

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:35 am

LM - that sounds like an expensive weekend!

G

LOUD MOUSE wrote:The event has 5 classes.
STRAP ON (really small with 4 cylinder opposed engines to P-51, HAWKER FURY, SEA FURY, and a couple of CZECHOSLOVAKIAN fighters.
This year it was a given VOODOO (P-51) would win and as there was no real competition and it did.
I blew 2 tires (one on each side) on my 5th wheel trailer to the cost of $900.00 and now have lots of repair to do with the trailer.

G-Man wrote:LM - I understand now. My place is a family-run business in Yorkshire.

G
Neither good or bad.

\

G

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:42 am

Was actually away for 14 days. ............................lm

G-Man wrote:LM - that sounds like an expensive weekend!

G

LOUD MOUSE wrote:The event has 5 classes.

G
Neither good or bad.

\

G

G

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:43 am

I realized I could have a quick session of 'reassembly therapy' now that I'd got my kickstart parts back.

Using the nasty-looking little tool I'd made to take the thing apart I was able to very quickly reasemble the kickstart spring and pedal. I was intending to make a much sleeker version but that will have to wait for the next kick start now....

That all happened a bit to easily but I'm not complaining.

There was an audible sigh of relief when the lever fitted on to my 'home made' starter gear and I was able to turn the engine over with it. I don't have the little punch marks on my gears so I will have to get everything manually set up then re-punch the marks.

I couldn't quite work out whether the Honda logo in the rubber should be the right way up in the 'park' or 'action' position.....

G
Last edited by G-Man on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home