Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My 1965 Superhawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Thu May 14, 2015 10:10 am

Well another update.
Spliced in and repaired with heatshrink a lot of the harness. Everything is working now except for the neutral light which I just bought a new one from classichondarestorations...

I fixed the upper throttle cable... Soldered in a new tip, adjusted it, and works perfectly... Took a stroll over to my local bike shop, asked for air filters.. He actually had NOS HONDA air filters still in the box. He also gave me some tank badges he had in his collection.

So that saved me from buying aftermarket ones online.

I started to clean up the bike little by little... Mostly was concerned with the wiring didn't really spend much time cleaning but... You can see from the previous restoration the bike had, someone polished all the fins on the bike... So I plan to clean those up again, and repolish them. This side is the dirty bad side... This muffler has some bad rust pitting, and yellowing... The other side however is gorgeous.

This side cleaned up very nice with just some never dull.

You can see the pegs that were sandblasted, and looks like they were never powdercoated, or painted? So I plan to coat them so they don't look like crap like they currently do.

Things planned for next weekend are the following.

Carb Rebuild + Gaskets + O rings.
Petcock Rebuild
New Tach Cable
New Speedo Cable.
New Cluster gasket.
New Neutral Switch , old one is rusted, and finicky only works sometimes.
New polish case screws and hardware.
BIG CLEAN, the front of the exhaust has a tiny bit of surface rust on it, I can't wait to clean it up. It's really bugging me.
I'm sure there's other things, I just spent 230 dollars at classichondarestoration.com lol

Also very excited that I found replacement side trim from a member here, and a shop to rechrome them!

Only cross roads I'm at right now is what to do with the left side exhaust.
Rechrome?
Or eBay repro? Davidsilvers repro? Dunstalls.. That's my dilemma right now.

Also the eBay thailand honda exhaust downpipes... Anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking at them mainly because I want new chrome

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Thu May 21, 2015 8:59 am

Put my CB on the lift yesterday to finally getting a chance to start going to town on it.

I got the wiring finished in the headlamp bucket, as well as the new tachometer, and speedometer cables installed.

I installed a new neutral switch light, which didn't fix my problem.

I tested both wire leads with a test light, my black is getting power, and my greenish pink is not. Which I'm assuming means I'm going to need to take my case cover off and check the switch and or chase the wire back through the harness.

Looking forward to this weekend! TO finally have some spare time to CLEAN her up, and finish odds and ends!

My next restoration

But plans for this weekend, BIG clean, CARB rebuild, and Oil change.
Still unsure what oil to use in this. The great oil debate on this website has me believing both sides!
I normally run Shell Rotella, most likely going to do that.

deafanddiabetic
honda305.com Member

Post by deafanddiabetic » Thu May 21, 2015 12:11 pm

promking, you've got one of the nicest CB77's that I've seen in awhile and that's BEFORE your restoration.

You find them pretty often in the midwest but they're always junk or mostly junk and people want a fortune for them.

I love your /5, I'm an airhead too and have a few in the stable as well. You should join www.advrider.com and find the "Old's Cool" section, and the "Airhead" section. Post your restoration, we eat that stuff up over there!
1964 CA72
1974 BMW R75/6
1969 CL450
1995 Toyota Corolla Wagon (The Hauler)

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Tue May 26, 2015 8:24 am

I'll def sign up there when I'm ready to start cleaning the R up!

As for the Superhawk, this weekend, I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. It was pretty hot in my green house this weekend, and plus I didn't have that much time to devote to it :(

I started polishing and cleaning the right side cover ( i'm going to pull it off and paint it) it didn't really clean up as good as I had hoped.

I started repolishing the stator cover
It looks okay, not as good as I had hoped, there's faint tiny scratches still in it. I might 400 , 600 , 800 and 1,000 it.

You can see the fins will polish up really nice on the motor, I started polishing them with a little dremel wheel after I took this picture.

I wanted to at least get the carbs cleaned and painted, but progress is progress.

Also looking for a Silver that matches to what is on this bike currently. I might just respray all the silver trim, base/clear.

On a positive note took my Scirocco out for a ride on Sunday to a local carshow.

My Scirocco on the left, and a Henry J on the right
The engine bay

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Fri May 29, 2015 7:23 am

Had some free time Wednesday night I pulled the case cover on the right hand side.

Wanted to check my clutch cable, and also wanted to investigate my neutral switch not working.
I pulled the neutral switch, if I ground my test light to the ground that attaches by the coil, and ground the wire to that attaches to the neutral switch the light works. I checked and took apart the neutral switch, the inside was toast the spring fell apart, and the contact point... I tried to solder it, but it wasn't successful. I ordered a NOS switch from eBay yesterday.

Was a good thing I pulled the cover anyway, because the wires that run to the stator , the jacket was making contact with the chain!

I made a rookie mistake, not sure if I needed to do this, but I took the kick start circlips off and now I need to re-align the kick start spring. It doesn't seem to difficult.
Put tension on the spring, and align the two marks on the sprocket, then slide onto the shaft?
Engine is cleaning up well, I'm still going to continue polishing the fins. I'm thinking about painting the bottom portion of the motor black with polished fins, and the jugs the aluminum with polished fins. I'm still up in the air about that though.

While the bike is apart, I plan on sending a few things to get chromed. I'm not to happy with the way the pegs look , I'm not a fan of the " zinc " coating. Not sure if I'm going to have those chromed, or powdercoat them glossblack.

Already told the wife I have plans on Saturday to clean, rebuild & paint the carbs.
Attachments
Motor.jpg
Motor.jpg (305.04 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
Motor1.jpg
Motor1.jpg (371.56 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Fri May 29, 2015 11:06 am

Wow! Great photos. You have a lot of projects on your plate! From the looks of that beautiful Scirocco, they're in good hands.

Your Superhawk is really nice. It has good bones, doesn't it? I'm anxious to see how it comes out for you.
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Fri May 29, 2015 5:12 pm

My vote is to keep it stock. Its to nice to tart up in my opinion.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home