Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1966 CA78 Dream Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
eyedragaknee
honda305.com Member

Dream

Post by eyedragaknee » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:27 pm

Hey BM, do you need any engine side covers? I have a set that I have no use for. I bought them from a guy that said they were CL-77 but they ended up being CA covers.

You can have them if you need them.

JR

rrietman
honda305.com Member

66 ca78 dream restoration

Post by rrietman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:29 pm

B; I'm interested in this extreme chrome powder coating. looks pretty good in the pics. If you don't me asking, how much does that run per rim? I have a HUGE pile of dream DID rims, but at $150 per, it doesn't make sense to send them to the platers.
Randy

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Re: Dream

Post by byrdman76 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:34 pm

eyedragaknee wrote:Hey BM, do you need any engine side covers? I have a set that I have no use for. I bought them from a guy that said they were CL-77 but they ended up being CA covers.

You can have them if you need them.

JR
Hey JR, I just spent this past weekend blasting and painting mine... Thanks anyway Bud. Hows the CL project coming along?

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Re: 66 ca78 dream restoration

Post by byrdman76 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:47 pm

rrietman wrote:B; I'm interested in this extreme chrome powder coating. looks pretty good in the pics. If you don't me asking, how much does that run per rim? I have a HUGE pile of dream DID rims, but at $150 per, it doesn't make sense to send them to the platers.
Randy
Hey Randy - Call Tom at Carolina Custom Powder coating 919-460-9600. Their located in Cary NC and do an exceptional job. I cant say enough good things about these guys.

He will do a set in black for around 80 bucks and extreme chrome for around 100 a set - depending on the condition! This past set made him re think his pricing due to the condition of my rims, but I made sure to make up for it in the tip. He will also do a complete rim and hub if you knock the bearings out of them but you will never be able to adjust the spokes ever again.

Give them a call you wont be sorry - Let me know if I can help.

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Post by byrdman76 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Well I mounted the new tires, tubes, and rims straps today. My biggest fear was the inflation part. I had no idea whether or not the paint on the tires would crack all to pieces or not. To my relief they turned out fine. I had a small amount of splitting in areas where I got a little heavy with the paint. However, next time I think I'll prep the tire loose so I don't screw up the rim, then reinstall the tires back on the rims and air them up. This way I don't have to worry about them cracking when I go to inflate them. Regardless if they do crack a little its nothing to go back and touch them up.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and begin some reassembly on the frame and rear section.

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Post by byrdman76 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 am

Mounted the swing arm, shocks, tail light, kick stands, and engine. nice to finally see this thing coming back together again. Still too cold to paint the front end, so I'm going to try and get as much done as I can on other parts of the bike. The hard part is getting it back together with out screwing up the paint!

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Post by byrdman76 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Mounted the rear wheel steering stem and most of the wiring harness.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home