Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

an american in holland

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
goudreignet
honda305.com Member

Post by goudreignet » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:12 pm

steve

here is a detailed picture of the rear blinker

ImageImage

You’re quite right about the fact that it can not be a dream blinker handle bar consol
I can tell you it is not a CB77 because it has an extra black and white wire to the start button
Maybe it is from a CB160 or CB450 who knows

fred

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:27 pm

Thanks Fred. So, it looks like you found & fitted OEM trafficators? They look like a perfect, factory installation.

To my knowledge (which isn't always correct!) the winkers were fitted to some CP models, particularly destined for Germany & Canada. I'd reckon that's the model for which your switch ass'y and the winkers were originally destined.

The winkers' cabling within the harness became standard, apparently, on some harnesses.

goudreignet
honda305.com Member

Post by goudreignet » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:43 am

steve,

the winkers, aft winker mounts , and the handlebar switch came from Thailand
i presume that these where designated for the Asian market

the blinker relays i have used is a modern Honda item suitable for 10 watt bulbs
pn 38301-GE8-008

i had a dream winker relays nos 40 years old but i would not blink unfortunately

fred

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:45 pm

The possible reason for not blinking could be too low a wattage lamps. The older bi-metal type needs the laminated metal strip to get hot to make it bend and pop away from the contact; it then cools and drops back onto the contact. The cycle restarts and continues. Possibly designed for 2 x 18W or 21W lamps? 2 x 10W might just not draw enough current to heat the laminate.

I'm going to use an electronic flasher when I find my box of junk where I have some 'stored'; my winkers are fine at traffic speeds, but at 60mph it flashes so fast that they look like they're just 'on'. Doesn't happen if I just rev it to 5 or 6K stood still, so it's not voltage. I think it's vibration, so I'll take the unit off its mount and suspend it on some rubber bands to see if that helps. But I still think an electronic unit is the answer.

goudreignet
honda305.com Member

Post by goudreignet » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:36 am

the old blink relays had worked but it just stopped blinking
10W is what was stamped on the blinker relays housing ( see pic. )

ImageImage

i have used 15W bulbs, with out succes

but with the new C90 supercup relais it blinks as it should even with 10W bulbs

fred

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:38 am

Hmmmmm, I see. Bi-metal types are old-tech, these days; strange it's NOS and failed. Sh1t happens!

Nice job of fitting that Supercub relay! Lovely paint, too....

goudreignet
honda305.com Member

Post by goudreignet » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:58 am

the paint is actually powder coat with a clear coat
although i had the fuel tank resprayed with a two pack clear coat, because of the bubleyness of the powder coat.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home