Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Superhawk Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Saturday, 4 June.

Today, I reset the main jet needle clips to the third notch, removed the carb vent tubes, as LM suggested, and reset the timing. When I attached my fuel bottle, I noticed a drip from the left carb overflow, so I removed both carbs and reset the floats. I also switched the mixture screws back to the originals after noticing that the Keyster replacements were badly gouged and scratched. I'm guessing from their springs. I checked carb sync, installed fresh spark plugs and it started immediately with ¾ choke (a first). It ran well - no popping or backfiring - but I stalled it when I went to open the choke and closed it instead. Started right back up. I did not have the time to run it to full operating temperature. Tomorrow, if time allows, I'll warm it up, make some adjustments and take it for a spin. Fingers crossed that all is now well.

P.M. Edit: since it's going to rain here tomorrow, I took the bike for a ride late this afternoon. Started right up. Let it warm a bit and took it out. Disappointed. Ran poorly. Don't know how to describe, but it was as if it was bucking. Back at the shop and fully warmed up, had little or no adjustment possible with the mixture screw. Plugs not fouled with carbon though. I'll lower the needle clips again. Don't know exactly what's next.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (102.2 KiB) Viewed 887 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:48 am

More fiddling today. Begin again. Needles on 2nd notch. Starts and idles good. Plugs beginning to color tan/gray at 10 minute idle. On test run, bucking at 3 - 4K rpm. Some popping. Reset Sachse to #4. Ran again and had bucking @ 4K rpm. Plugs getting tan/gray. I'm thinking that this is a timing issue. Will reset Sachse. If that doesn't work I'll try the mechanical ignition. Perhaps there's electrical interference with the Sachse wiring through the stator coils.

Edit:
Later. Reset the Sachse timing, but same result. Reconnected mechanical ignition and it runs like a champ. Took a longer ride without issues. Plenty of pep and power. And that great exhaust note. Plugs developing a nice color. Right side just a bit richer. More tweaking later. For now, the Sachse unit will remain in place, but disconnected. Eventually, I'll reroute the sensor wiring externally and see what happens.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:48 am

As an update to my voltage rectifier/regulator install, I can report that it's working well. After a brisk ride today with the headlight on high beam, the tail light on, the use of directionals and a restart after a stop for gas, I plugged the bike into a Deltran Battery Tender Junior. It took 45 seconds to bring the battery to 14.5 volts and 15 minutes to go into maintenance mode. I'm glad I did the switch.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:34 pm

I finally got the Sachse ignition up and running today and took a long test ride. I'm happy to report that - so far - I have not experienced any difficulty with the sensor wire running through the stator. I'm running the unit on profile 4, but will be trying others each time I ride. I've also finally gotten the carb set correctly and both plugs are a grayish tan. The rectifier/regulator continues to function well and I've removed the Kisan volt/amp meter from the handlebar. I might take the old girl to a local classic bike show next month.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:02 pm

If ya go to the show I wish ya a trophy. .................lm
Seadog wrote:I finally got the Sachse ignition up and running today and took a long test ride. I'm happy to report that - so far - I have not experienced any difficulty with the sensor wire running through the stator. I'm running the unit on profile 4, but will be trying others each time I ride. I've also finally gotten the carb set correctly and both plugs are a grayish tan. The rectifier/regulator continues to function well and I've removed the Kisan volt/amp meter from the handlebar. I might take the old girl to a local classic bike show next month.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks, LM.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:If ya go to the show I wish ya a trophy. .................lm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:54 pm

Hello Seadog.
Something just hit me!
Has anyone seen/found any actual pics of plugs that show what we should see after the LEAD additive is no longer in the gas?. .....................lm

Seadog wrote:Saturday, 4 June.

Today, I reset the main jet needle clips to the third notch, removed the carb vent tubes, as LM suggested, and reset the timing. When I attached my fuel bottle, I noticed a drip from the left carb overflow, so I removed both carbs and reset the floats. I also switched the mixture screws back to the originals after noticing that the Keyster replacements were badly gouged and scratched. I'm guessing from their springs. I checked carb sync, installed fresh spark plugs and it started immediately with ¾ choke (a first). It ran well - no popping or backfiring - but I stalled it when I went to open the choke and closed it instead. Started right back up. I did not have the time to run it to full operating temperature. Tomorrow, if time allows, I'll warm it up, make some adjustments and take it for a spin. Fingers crossed that all is now well.

P.M. Edit: since it's going to rain here tomorrow, I took the bike for a ride late this afternoon. Started right up. Let it warm a bit and took it out. Disappointed. Ran poorly. Don't know how to describe, but it was as if it was bucking. Back at the shop and fully warmed up, had little or no adjustment possible with the mixture screw. Plugs not fouled with carbon though. I'll lower the needle clips again. Don't know exactly what's next.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home