Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:10 pm

I easily found a great thread on rebuilding starters here, so i decided to take mine apart. I had no problems. The inside was greasy and mouldy. The gears were well greased and move smoothly, but the grease is black. All-in-all, not bad. A good cleaning, new brushes, fresh grease and some paint for the case should take care of it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (92.45 KiB) Viewed 790 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (119.41 KiB) Viewed 790 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.24 KiB) Viewed 790 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Thanks to NBD925's excellent starter rebuilding thread, I finished with my starter today. It really wasn't as beat up as I had originally thought. The rust on the outside was the worst of it. I would have replaced the brushes, but I haven't been able to find replacements yet. I'd guess they're about half worn. I reinstalled them. They should still have a bit of life left. It's now masked off and ready for paint, which I'll get to in a day or two, when it's warmer and drier.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:18 pm

YA may want to make sure it will spin when you add 12 Volts. ...........lm
Seadog wrote:Thanks to NBD925's excellent starter rebuilding thread, I finished with my starter today. It really wasn't as beat up as I had originally thought. The rust on the outside was the worst of it. I would have replaced the brushes, but I haven't been able to find replacements yet. I'd guess they're about half worn. I reinstalled them. They should still have a bit of life left. It's now masked off and ready for paint, which I'll get to in a day or two, when it's warmer and drier.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:17 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:YA may want to make sure it will spin when you add 12 Volts. ...........lm
Ha! Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if it didn't work after I "fixed it" when it worked before I did! Yes, I'll take the masking tape off and try it tomorrow.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:29 pm

GOOD ON YA!. ................lm
Seadog wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:YA may want to make sure it will spin when you add 12 Volts. ...........lm
Ha! Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if it didn't work after I "fixed it" when it worked before I did! Yes, I'll take the masking tape off and try it tomorrow.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:07 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:GOOD ON YA!. ................lm
Well, once that little seed of doubt was sown in my mind, I had to try it. No waiting for tomorrow. Phew! It works just fine. Now I can sleep tonight.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu May 07, 2015 10:07 am

I haven't posted for a bit, but slow progress has been made. Thanks to the generosity of another member, I was able to buy a left side cover, which I stripped and took to the painter. No progress on his end, which worked out for me in that the cover can be repaired and painted with all the other parts.

I finished painting the starter parts and will install them in a few days. I stripped the handlebar down, thinking that it could be re chromed, but found that it had been badly bent on the right side about an inch inward and the wiring cutout is distorted. The end of the bar is somewhat mushroomed from the impact too. I might try to heat it up and bend it back, but I don't think that I could ever trust it. I'll have to search for a replacement. I wonder if another Honda bar would be suitable - maybe from an early CB?

I started cleaning the old gasket material from the oil pump. I'll strip it down and clean it thoroughly too. One of the two knock pins is still in the lower case and one is in the pump flange. It won't budge with very gentle persuasion and I don't know whether to be concerned about that or not.

Left and right chrome chrome fork covers are in the de-rusting tank. They're in fair condition, but will do for now with some polishing. There are more important parts to be had at this point. I don't even have engine case bolts - lost by the PO.

Tiny steps.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.26 KiB) Viewed 717 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 717 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home