Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Steverino's CB77

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Thanks WaveBlaster
I protected all threads except for the upper shock mounts with sacrificial hardware. The manager said he would wrap those.
While I'm waiting for the frame I started work on the hubs. Since I spent almost 250 dollars on blasting and powder coating I put off buying an ultrasonic cleaner. I see a lot of soaking and wire brushing in my future. I am going to try to bring the hubs to a finer finish than I have in the past. I would like to get to the level of reflectivity of chrome but keep the warmth of aluminum. I know Honda did not polish their hubs. This will be my only deviation from factory appearance. I sanded the drive hub with 220, 400 and 600 paper and then buffed it with black compound. While it is shiny now it is not shiny enough. I am going to pick up a set of finer grade papers tomorrow and find out just how pretty I can make it. I don't clean the bearing area until I am done with polishing because of the abrasive nature of the polish media.
ImageCAM01481 (1) by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
ImageCAM01484 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Powder Coating of the Frame

Post by Steverino » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:01 pm

I picked up the frame today. I always feel a little off when I have someone work on my projects. I feel like I am that guy who brings a professionally restored vehicle to a show and beats all the blood sweat and tears guys out of the trophy. The truth is when it comes to the frame I don't have the equipment to do powder coating and/or the patience to do the quality of work that this shop does. At least I won't have to worry about scratching it up during assembly. I will do all the other color pieces myself in acrylic lacquer base and clear coat. Here are some before and after pictures.
Image15 - 1 (5) by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
ImageCAM01522 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
ImageCAM01507 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Frame Detail Photos

Post by Steverino » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:09 am

Here are some closer pictures of the frame. It cleaned up pretty well with the only obvious pitting occurring in the bottom of the battery tray. Luckily it isn't deep enough to weaken it any. These Honda spine back frames are such a neat design. I don't know how much they weigh but they are pretty light, and strong if the motor mount bolts are kept tight.
ImageCAM01540 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
Here is a pic showing the pitting in the battery tray.
ImageCAM01541 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
left side close up
ImageCAM01553 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
ImageCAM01556 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
A Good Foundation to Build on
ImageCAM01566 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Mufflers

Post by Steverino » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:23 am

I've been spending a lot of time trying to get information about mufflers. I've got a good recommendation regarding Overlanders and I'm probably going to buy from him. I have nagging at me a comment by someone who bought a set and found grind marks and some crappy spot welds on their set. Has this problem been rectified?
I spent some time today cleaning up the originals. They are nice, but if I'm going to go top notch I will need to get a new highest quality oem style set.
ImageCAM01574 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:47 am

Steve

Those mufflers look pretty nice to me.....

Frame looks spot-on, too. At least you have something to hang all the parts on now...

I envy the amount of space you have and the weather, judging by the grass in your pictures. :-)

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:19 am

Thank You G Man
We are having pretty nice weather right now. I don't usually have to mow this early but I am this year. I've been following your crankshaft jig project. Nice work sir, I am in awe.
I found a set of mufflers and pipes on CL. The seller has a small CAFE/Custom bike shop in Portland and my son and I drove up yesterday and had a look. I could tell as soon as I saw the muffs I didn't want them. They were off a bike that had been laid down at speed so the right muffler was all scraped up. We were ready to head out the door when the seller told me he had more stuff to show me. After assuring him I was not going to buy his stuff just to flip on eBay we went through his pile and quickly came up with a few things I thought I could use. I got a left side Tank cover in show worthy condition with rubber grip for 10 dollars. He threw in the crash damaged right side cover at no charge. Both knee grips are in very nice shape. So now I have a second set. Maybe I'll restore another Super Hawk Some day. I bought the left handlebar switch because it was in nice shape and he only wanted 20 dollars.My original switch has a frozen hi/low lever which I'm sure I can correct on disassembly and service. But having this second one is good insurance. I slao bought a NOS Honda headlight and a very nice used headlight rim. Total for these pieces was 65 dollars. He also has a professionally restored late speedo and a side stand with good chrome we are going to work a deal on. When I decide which position I'm going to place my foot pegs he will make me up some shift rods. It was an enjoyable afternoon meeting and making deals with another fellow who likes the old Honda.
ImageCAM01579 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:34 am

Steve

I just love those places! Sadly they are getting rare now. I usually end up in folks' garages after a chance conversation at a bike show. You just feel that you have to rescue some of this stuff so it doesn't end up in the trash.

I had to buy a big pile of stuff last year to get at three sad-looking CB72 engines. Luckily when the other stuff was sold off (I really didn't want it) the engines worked out free....

Great find on the parts. You just have to say yes and then the matching halves will turn up some day. For that reason I now have a 1962 CB72 project.....

Thanks for the comments on the crank jig. Still waiting for material to turn up but should be able to put it to the test this weekend. I already have some improvements in mind but we'll see how it goes.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home