Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

The rebirth of a C78 305 Honda Dream

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 pm

Ya sure got me on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. ............lm

4shorts wrote:LOUD MOUSE they were on wrong and I changed them over and also updated the pictures. Sorry for the
confusion. Paul

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:14 pm

It's funny, you see the badges backward on ebay quite a bit...
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:59 pm

prima5star wrote:It's funny, you see the badges backward on ebay quite a bit...
Matt I think my badges were on the right way but the tank was backwards!! Ha!

4shorts
honda305.com Member

UPDATED! NOV.17/2006

Post by 4shorts » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:48 am

Well I finally got some extra time to reassemble the rear shocks. I had purchased two used ones off of Ebay because the inner shocks on my bike were leaking. After receiving the Ebay shocks and removing the outer components I was pleased to know they were in perfect condition. As I did with the rest of my aluminum parts of this bike I used etching primer and base coat clear coat to refinish them.

I had the lower parts of the shocks replated so all I had to do was reassemble them. I thought I would have to make a small spring compressor to put them back but after a little thought I found a simple way to do it. Here's how I did it:

- Place a piece of round stock through the lower bushing of the lower shock and clamp it in a vice.

- Lay the lower chrome section on the shock.

- Lay spring over the shock and apply some grease in the upper plastic part of the spring.

- Make sure the threads are clean in the small collar and while pulling down slightly on the spring have an assistant spin the collar on the thread of the shock. It only needs to go on enough to be able to hold the threaded part with pliers and use a 17 MM wrench to tighten it all the way down on the shaft.

- Now lay the plastic portion of the shock over the shaft and while you use both hands to pull this section down over the small collar have your assistant spin the very top portion of the shock on. Then he will take the 17 MM wrench and tighten the collar up tight against the top portion of the shock. When this is done let to plastic portion of the shock go up and meet the upper part of the shock and the job is complete.

I tried to take as many pictures as I could but a third person would have been beneficial in this case but I hope it helps some of you out. Clear as mud isn't it?

Last edited by 4shorts on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:30 am

Thank you for posting that excellent tutorial.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:39 pm

FiremanBob wrote:Thank you for posting that excellent tutorial.
Thanks FiremanBob for that. Heck I'm just happy to know someone is actually reading the posts! Not much discussion on here for a discussion forum and there are times I wonder why I bother to post anything at all. I'm used to some of the GoldWing forums I guess. There always something to talk about over there.

That being said I decided to assemble the front fork section of the Dream today while trying to learn how to use a new camera. Got most of the camera figured out if I could only figure out how to add the date to the pictures.

I assembled the petcock today and finially received my fuel bowl. I'm not going to give Mr. Honda any pats on the back for the petcock design on these bikes because I think it comes with a few flaws. I also got the front end together easy enough. I'm not looking for a points bike so everything won't be original and that don't worry me in the least as long as the beast is reliable, well done and don't fall apart when I go down the road I'll be happy enough. I'm still waiting on my outer chrome rims and my tires. After they arrive It won't be long and I'll start to make some real progress.

Come on everyone. Wake up and start posting on this site. I'm falling asleep!

Dogsbd
honda305.com Member

Post by Dogsbd » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:27 pm

Sorry Paul but all I can usually think of to add after one of your posts is WOW.

As for the above photos.......................... WOW!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home