Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

darboots - 1961 CA77 from boxes

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:58 am

It was my pleasure to help. I'm so glad that worked for you, Darren. Please let me know how you solve the problem of the height difference. Can you slot the mounting hole or bend the tab on the high side? A photo might be useful.

malcolmgb
honda305.com Member

Post by malcolmgb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 pm

You asked about wiring previously, a green wire?, that is usually ground on Honda, 12v is usually black.
1977 CB400F
1973 CL175
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:33 am

Here you go Seadog - a view from the rear. It's really not that far out now, but will take some minor 'tweaking'.

malcolmgb wrote:You asked about wiring previously, a green wire?, that is usually ground on Honda, 12v is usually black.
Thanks Malcolm. I stilll need to work that bit out. It doesn't seem to buzz through to earth, but I must admit I've not tried it with the key switch in each position.
Last edited by darboots on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1961 Honda CA77 Dream Touring
1983 Yamaha RD350 LCII YPVS
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400FEF (ZX14R)

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:55 am

So, the green wire from the ignition switch is 12v live when the keyswitch is in positions for lighting (III & IV). I assume therefore, that one of the two wires to connect there is the light switch feed, and the other must be for the pilot light/speedo backlight? I'm still unsure how to connect in the high beam indicator as this is a '61 bike and therefore shouldn't have one in the speedo.

In other developments, I've set all the static timing, and after many incidents of the carb over-flowing (stuck floats), cannot get the bike to start. I don't seem to have a fat spark on either plug, but do get a spark. Plugs are CR8EB - D8HA's do not fit - is this because the early bikes used a different head? What plugs should be there?

I'm not convinced I'm getting fuel/air into the cylinders, although the float height is set to ~26.5mm (PW22). The PO seems to have fitted new jets throughout, but I've also ordered a jet cleaner so I can poke any debris out of the jets as all parts of the bike have all sat around for ~5-10 years.
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:32 am

Does it have 10mm plugs?. ....................;lm
darboots wrote:So, the green wire from the ignition switch is 12v live when the keyswitch is in positions for lighting (III & IV). I assume therefore, that one of the two wires to connect there is the light switch feed, and the other must be for the pilot light/speedo backlight? I'm still unsure how to connect in the high beam indicator as this is a '61 bike and therefore shouldn't have one in the speedo.

In other developments, I've set all the static timing, and after many incidents of the carb over-flowing (stuck floats), cannot get the bike to start. I don't seem to have a fat spark on either plug, but do get a spark. Plugs are CR8EB - D8HA's do not fit - is this because the early bikes used a different head? What plugs should be there?

I'm not convinced I'm getting fuel/air into the cylinders, although the float height is set to ~26.5mm (PW22). The PO seems to have fitted new jets throughout, but I've also ordered a jet cleaner so I can poke any debris out of the jets as all parts of the bike have all sat around for ~5-10 years.

darboots
honda305.com Member

Post by darboots » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:17 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Does it have 10mm plugs?. ....................;lm
darboots wrote:So, the green wire from the ignition switch is 12v live when the keyswitch is in positions for lighting (III & IV). I assume therefore, that one of the two wires to connect there is the light switch feed, and the other must be for the pilot light/speedo backlight? I'm still unsure how to connect in the high beam indicator as this is a '61 bike and therefore shouldn't have one in the speedo.

Yeah, 10mm thread size. Was this changed on later models?
2006 KTM 450 EXC Racing

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:40 am

Yes. They went to 12mm D8XX. ...................lm

darboots wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Does it have 10mm plugs?. ....................;lm

Yeah, 10mm thread size. Was this changed on later models?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home