Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

barn-find dream

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:06 am

DCON,
thanks for the compliment !
on the pipes i used Duplicolor high temp enamel w/ceramic additive (semi-gloss black i believe). the chrome was rusting,bubbling and peeling pretty bad , so i sandblasted then acid-etched the pipes before painting. So far it is holding up tremendously well ! it's also the same paint thats on the upper engine itself.
the paint seemed to 'flatten' out in appearance through the bend, and smoked and stunk for abit while doing so. when i first assembled i started it up and let it idle for 10 minutes of so , just enough to get the smoke rollin, then let it cool down until the next day. after the 3rd of 4th bout of this it had 'baked in' (i'll call it) and stopped smoking and stinking, and hasnt done it abit since then ( granted, only a couple hundred miles later on the odo ).

DCON
honda305.com Member

Post by DCON » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:35 pm

well deserved. might give it a try on the cb i have in the works. thanks

Gun
honda305.com Member

Post by Gun » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm

3BeanCrispy wrote:DCON,
thanks for the compliment !
on the pipes i used Duplicolor high temp enamel w/ceramic additive (semi-gloss black i believe). the chrome was rusting,bubbling and peeling pretty bad , so i sandblasted then acid-etched the pipes before painting. So far it is holding up tremendously well ! it's also the same paint thats on the upper engine itself.
the paint seemed to 'flatten' out in appearance through the bend, and smoked and stunk for abit while doing so. when i first assembled i started it up and let it idle for 10 minutes of so , just enough to get the smoke rollin, then let it cool down until the next day. after the 3rd of 4th bout of this it had 'baked in' (i'll call it) and stopped smoking and stinking, and hasnt done it abit since then ( granted, only a couple hundred miles later on the odo ).

I expereinced the exact same "baking process" (smoking and all that) on my superhawk with the high temp. except I used krylon and it comes off with a bit of rubbing... I think the ceramic additive was not present in the paint I used. Not sure on that though. they will definately be repainted next year at some point.
'65 CB77
'66 CB450k0
'93 HD FXR

caldreamin
honda305.com Member

Post by caldreamin » Wed May 27, 2009 6:00 am

That bike looks great!!! what kind and size of peg scraping tires did you end up getting?? they look REALLY cool on there!! also what did you have to do to change thems nipples?? are they threaded in ?? looks like 2 different sizes too? Thanx Dave

3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Wed May 27, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks Dave ! I'm eagerly awaiting the return of my speedos from Foreign Speedo so i can get back on it. My lil S65 is fun to put around on, but 20 mile trips on it can be abit nervewracking when they involve 55MPH roads and gravel roads -smile-.

The nipples press in, the 2 diff sizes just show the 2 processing steps. I made them by holding the head part inside of a collet in a bridgeport type mill and clamping a turning tool with a small nose radius to the table, running the nipple up and down over the tool while working it in a couple thousandths of an inch at a time. The problem i had is that a little over half of them ended up non-functional as the collet squished them ,ever so slightly, and the check pin/ball stopped actuating.
The tires ... i will have to go peek it's been so long lol
GBC Street Shark 100/90-16. They weren't my first choice, but they were highest on my list that were actually in stock when the time arrived. I wont speak much to thier performance as i havent put a whole lot of miles on it since the resto.

Thanks again for the compliments !

Matt in PA

Davo
honda305.com Member

Post by Davo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:33 pm

Great Story, Just got my first 305 and on a budget, some great ideas. How are the tires working out? are the front and rear tires the same ? exhaust ? what are they and where did you get them and how do they sound ? Are the side panels painted (satin finish) the same as the rest of the bike ? Why did you give up on the solo seat ? Sorry so many questions but like you this site seems to be the place to ask. Great job on the bike. thanks

davo (the new one)

3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Hey Davo, best of luck on your budget bike ! TO answer your questions ...
The tires seem to be working out great. I don't ride very aggressively, so can't speak as to the high speed cornering, etc. Have been fortunate enough not to have any feedback on whether they work well on wet roads or not. They are the same tire, both 'front's.
The exhaust i picked up on ebay. they werent too far away so shipping was cheap, i think i paid $65 for the pair of mufflers. i think they sound good, quite abit meatier than i expected.
yes, the side panels are spraybombed flat black like the rest.
Once i got the prototype mount far enough i could get it all on to visualize, i just didnt like the look of it. i think the original style solo seats, with a higher/thicker profile, look good, but the generic aftermarket like i picked up looked out of place to me. Also, the wife was pretty adamant that she'd like to ride on the back at times .... hard to argue that point ;)

Matt in PA

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home