Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:09 am

Dealing with the weeping carburetor today. The leak seemed to come from the back of the bowl and I had a bit coming from the overflow. I cannot tell if the drain plug was leaking too (this is a newer square bowl carb). I removed the carb and changed the float valve from the old Keihin, which seemed spongy and weak, to a new one from a Keyster kit. I reset the floats, which are new, and changed the float bowl gasket for another new one. I noticed the the bowl made an impression on the first gasket, but not along the back edge where I think it was weeping. I ordered a new Honda gasket and a new Keihin float valve & seat. I cannot find a part number for the aluminum sealing washer for under the drain plug. If anyone can offer information on that, I'd appreciate it.

I also found that the large tube connection on the air filter is breaking away from the filter body. It appears that it was fastened with epoxy in just a few places and some have broken. Before I reinstall it, I'll epoxy all around it.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 am

I reinstalled the carb yesterday after the epoxy I put on the loose air filter inlet had cured. All went well. I attached my fuel bottle to the carb this morning and filled the carb bowl to check for leaks. All seemed dry except the bowl drain screw. I must find a new sealing washer for it or try an o-ring. I hesitate to use an o-ring because of the ethanol in the gas and I'm not sure what it will do to it. When I drained the carb after running the engine, the gas had turned from clear to yellowish. I think it's coming from the gas hose I use on my fuel bottle, but I cannot be sure.

After checking for leaks, I started the bike. 3 kicks with the choke on and the ignition off, then 1 kick to start with the ignition on. I'm a happy man.

After the first run the other day, I checked the oil level and found that it had gone down a bit. I refilled it. After running today, the level seemed about the same. Spark plugs were clean. No oil leaks are evident anywhere.

Now I'll turn to other tasks: I must clean out the gas tank again since a small amount of rust has reformed in a couple of spots; the clutch needs adjusting; the chain needs adjustment; the front wheel must come off to see what I've done wrong with the speedometer drive - it spins; and, I have to install the upper chain case/cover. I'm sure there's more.
Attachments
Yellowish tint to gasoline
Yellowish tint to gasoline
IMG_1911.JPG (192.25 KiB) Viewed 2232 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:49 pm

What sadist designed that chaincase?! I'm reminded why I took it off of my bicycle when I was a kid. I got it installed, but I'm not sure it's right. It doesn't interfere with the chain though.

jkv357
honda305.com Member

Post by jkv357 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Seadog wrote:What sadist designed that chaincase?! I'm reminded why I took it off of my bicycle when I was a kid. I got it installed, but I'm not sure it's right. It doesn't interfere with the chain though.
Same one that designed the oil "filter"system and the placement of the carb and air filter...

Muddy
honda305.com Member

Post by Muddy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 pm

:-) :-) ;-)

And quite a few other things!
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72
'63 C72

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm

You're both right, of course, but we love the 305s anyway.

No appreciable progress today. Adjusted the clutch cable and fiddled with my home made battery box a bit (I'm using a small lithium battery). Did some forum reading about top end rebuilds, just in case.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Finished fabricating a battery box today. I did not modify the stock battery tray at all. I might paint it when the weather is better. Still haven't decided how I'm going to permanently attach the charger wires. I might have to shorten them.

In test fitting the battery side cover, I can see that the latch screw is just too short for easy mounting. I took it off and compared it to the latch screw on the other side cover. It's the same length. I think that one is supposed to be longer than the other. I'll have to check and see if I can find the longer one.
Attachments
Battery2.jpg
Battery2.jpg (259.82 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Battery1.jpg
Battery1.jpg (280.19 KiB) Viewed 2190 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home