Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

cb-77 restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
jleewebb
honda305.com Member

paint pix

Post by jleewebb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 am

Ok, here are some real pix of paint. Picked up Sunday evening. Still gettting used to touching pieces with bare hands, have to keep wiping fingerprints off. Got everything de-masked, that took longer than I thought, plus had some other domestic and getting ready chores yesterday. Need to get off computer and try to hit a lick on it this afternoon. Hope to have significant progress to report by end of week. --Lee
Attachments
Serial number still readable, just not in low-res pic. This is 1,390th frame they made in '62.
Serial number still readable, just not in low-res pic. This is 1,390th frame they made in '62.
Some old paint overspray remains inside steering fork tube. Looks like a pretty close match.
Some old paint overspray remains inside steering fork tube. Looks like a pretty close match.
Couldn't resist playing with pieces to see how blue and silver look together. Pretty pretty, I'd say.
Couldn't resist playing with pieces to see how blue and silver look together. Pretty pretty, I'd say.
Lots of pieces. Halfway through painting Mike asked, "Just how many motorcycles is this, anyway?"
Lots of pieces. Halfway through painting Mike asked, "Just how many motorcycles is this, anyway?"
Dratted piece of lint detracts from pic. I thinks my painter friend Mike done real good.
Dratted piece of lint detracts from pic. I thinks my painter friend Mike done real good.

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Post by byrdman76 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:33 pm

Looks beautiful man but beware!

Be very careful with the fuel cap opening on the gas tank. I used an exacto blade to cut through the tape and paint to eliminate the possibility that I would pull some of the paint off when removing the tape around the fuel cap. This worked great as it has in the past. The problem is that the fuel caps vent onto the top of the tank. If this gas comes in contact with the paint edge (mainly the primer) its going to penetrate and cause it to bubble as it did on my Dream tank that I just painted. I waited about a month until I actually put gas in the tank and this still occurred. All it takes is one warm sunny day...

Does anyone have any suggestions on this issue? I was thinking that I would do the same thing the next go around and then clear over the trimmed edge all the way over the rim. Then I could just wet sand where the cap actually contacts the rim of the fuel opening hole.

Any thoughts?

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

thanks for tip

Post by jleewebb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks! That's something I hadn't considered. Unless I see some better suggestion here I'll clear coat between the edge and hole and sand it back off where cap contacts. There's something in forum about a gas cap that Honda still stocks that fits, helps with this problem, I just need to look it up and find part no. And carry a clean rag to wipe off any spills when fueling. Maybe not filling up all the way would help?

Pic is how far I got today. Flash washes out the blue for some reason, color is darker in daylight. I'll maybe post intermediate pix and comments sometime but right now it's been a long day.

Thanks for your support. --Lee
Attachments
Lacked a little daylight, and day, to get left shock on.
Lacked a little daylight, and day, to get left shock on.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Re: thanks for tip

Post by Spargett » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 am

Well look at that. She's coming together nicely. What'd you use to paint the frame?
jleewebb wrote:Pic is how far I got today. Flash washes out the blue for some reason, color is darker in daylight. I'll maybe post intermediate pix and comments sometime but right now it's been a long day.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

Re: progress

Post by jleewebb » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:42 pm

Spargett wrote:Well look at that. She's coming together nicely. What'd you use to paint the frame?

Frame paint same as rest of blue. Numbers posted here earlier.

Here's progress so far, another long day. I made a couple of trips to town, finally located, ordered, and picked up next day the elusive Krylon #1403. O"Reily's Auto parts. Also got rear tires mounted so I'm lined out for awhile.
Attachments
I think my expression says it all.
I think my expression says it all.
From left, brother in law, brother, lil' sister. We just wrastled the frame onto the engine. Didn't even ding up the paint. I'm proud of my helpers. Position everything's in right now is how things settled down after the wrastling.
From left, brother in law, brother, lil' sister. We just wrastled the frame onto the engine. Didn't even ding up the paint. I'm proud of my helpers. Position everything's in right now is how things settled down after the wrastling.
I put new stator and rotor covers etc, on for pic, then replaced them with my old cruddy ones until last minute.
I put new stator and rotor covers etc, on for pic, then replaced them with my old cruddy ones until last minute.

eyedragaknee
honda305.com Member

Paint bubbling around gas cap

Post by eyedragaknee » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:03 pm

My painter takes superglue to the edge the whole way around the edge. Claims it has never let hin down?

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:54 am

Looking super clean. You must be so excited. The reason I was asking about the paint on the frame was out of curiosity as far as durabilities sake. Is the engine painted or just really clean? I'm debating on whether or not to paint mine or not.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home