Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Steverino's CB77

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:41 pm

As far as I know, they were always the same silver as the front and rear fenders. LM would be the authority on that one. :)
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:18 pm

You are correct. .....lm
sarals wrote:As far as I know, they were always the same silver as the front and rear fenders. LM would be the authority on that one. :)

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:53 am

Hi Everyone:
I finally finished the refurb on Jimmy's Scrambler. It had been stored in a barn since the 70's. The tank and carbs had been left full of gas so everything from the gas cap to the intake manifolds was junk. Jimmy had a donor bike so I used the tank, petcock and carbs from it. That tank had also been left with a little old gas in it so I used a gallon of metal rescue and it cleaned up pretty well. The top of the tank had been smashed down a bit so I drilled a one inch hole in the bottom of the tank and tapped the top of the tank back into it's original shape with a heavy metal rod. I smoothed the ripples with body solder then welded the hole back up. I painted the fenders, side covers and tank with acrylic lacquer base and clear coat. Everything I didn't paint received a good cleaning and polish. The hubs and rims on the donor bike were in decent shape so I used them. I installed new tires and tubes and a new battery. When I got to the ignition I figured out why the bike had been stowed away so many years ago. The breaker points were completely worn out and there was no fire to the plugs. Here is a before picture and an after video of Jimmy's Scrambler and my Super Hawk. I can't wait to get started on the Super Hawk. I will do a nut and bolt resto on it.
SteveImageScramblers and Superhawk by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqEvfVLFG8A

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:11 pm

That Scrambler certainly sounds healthy! It's beautiful, too. You do fabulous work!

I'll be anxious to see how your Superhawk comes along.

Your shop is really nice, and so is that pretty CBX sitting in the background!
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:17 am

Thank You Sarals
It is a relief to be finished with Jimmy's bike and for him to be happy with it. Now, on to my bike.
I am going to get the Super Hawk running before I start the restoration. It shows 5,000 miles. But, really, who knows?
I went through the throttle mechanism tonight and it is in nice shape. I am so lucky that the original owner ran the fuel system dry before putting the bike in storage all those years ago. The slides were nice and shiny and slipped out of the carbs as if they were installed yesterday. My big plan for tomorrow is to change the oil, put in a fresh set of plugs, run some new fuel lines, pour a little sunoco in the tank and try to fire her up.
About the CBX. I always wanted one and when I retired I got one. I knew a guy who knew of this 82 crate bike. I was able to get a good deal because there was a concern that the motor was stuck after sitting for 32 years. It wasn't. Fortunately it had never had a battery installed and the fuel system had been run dry before being crated up. I had to service the starter motor because the brushes had fused to the commutator after sitting in the same spot for years. But it started right up and ran like a new Honda Here is a link to the first time I stated it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPKBjpa-WI

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:29 am

The CB77 looks like a great project and pretty much all there. I wish we could find them like that here...

It will be nice to see what the condition of the engine is after only 5k miles.

The weather takes it's toll in the UK....

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Hi G-Man
I was intrigued by your picture so I went to the restoration thread and followed it all the way through, for the second time now I believe. You do beautiful work and it is very inspiring. Did you completely disassemble your motor out of necessity or for the satisfaction of a blueprint type of rebuild?
I am in the process of cleaning the fuel system so the motor doesn't ingest any nasties when I start it up in a few days. The reason I want to listen to the motor before I start the restoration is to get a good idea of it's condition and whether it is even necessary to tear it completely down. Here are some pics of my initial inspection today.
Imageinitial disasembly and inspection by stevesteverinomeister, on FlickrImageoil on dipstick by Imagepetrified fuel line by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickrstevesteverinomeister, on FlickrImagecarb intake close up by Imageview of rocker arm by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickrstevesteverinomeister, on Flickr

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home