Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Webster NY Dream Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 am

bbap wrote:With all this PB Blasting, 15 year old gasoline, mouse urine and def., removal, an odd smell has permeated the house and my hands. Yes, I should have used rubber gloves, but I don't have any. Soap will take care of my hands somewhat but the smell...hmmmm, I will need suggestions on that.

Day 3 will be carburetor cleaning - to the bone. I PB Blasted the bowl. The varnish appears so thick it's oozing out....yikes!

Just a final note: buy PB Blaster, it works well. Not one bolt has been difficult to remove so far.
I know nothing except time that will rid the smell of gas that old!
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:40 pm

My long terms plans are to ride this bike. It's not gonna be a perfect resto. Due to the cost of a first class resto, I'm gonna do this on a budget (time, patience and DIY as much as possible). I will be sending out for, new rubber parts - as available, new tires, gasket kits etc. I plan on painting it myself.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi,

Glad to hear, go for it.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

rrtccp
honda305.com Member

Welcome, to the club...

Post by rrtccp » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:59 am

Hey Webster New York, i''m very glad to read your post ,, i was starting to think ( my wife as well was thinking) i'm the only guy in the world who is restoring an old bike but does not have a motorcycle license...lolol... i'm 2.5 hours away from you just north of buffalo ( canadian side eh!!)..you will find pretty much all the info you need here and many who are absolutely gracious enough to answer all you ask,,, seems bizarre but this website has somewhat restored my faith in the fact that there are still some decent people in the world.... if you need any inspiration at all follow two restorations by 4shorts (paul) and spargett as well,, they both have done an incredible job, both restoring the bikes and also recording the process for us simpler folk... esp when you consider spargett had no mech ability prior to his restoration ( his words not mine)..that alone helps me forge on thinking i can do it as well...if you need any thing just ask... nick

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks rrtccp!

I've got a daughter over at Univ. at Buffalo so I spend some time there. My wife is also Canadian so I'm up North (New Brunswick) a fair amount as well! Yah, lost my MC license in a License transition from Michigan to Maine to New York. Must have missed checking a box or something. I had given up on road bikes back in the early 90's when I was hit from behind while stopped behind traffic. The ironic part of it is that it was my wife to hit me!

I guess I've procrastinated long enough...time to drop the engine!

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi,

Out of curiosity, how is it possible to lose your license when moving from state to state, the country you live in is called the united states isn't it ? I understand when moving to Canada or Mexico and back, but from state to state ?

Jensen
Last edited by jensen on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:24 pm

States is the clue.
The states kept certain rights from the Federal Government when the United States were formed.
Each state has it's laws which they want.
Each county/parish has laws which the state doesn't.
Each city has laws.
We have the government military.
The state police/highway patrol/national guard and others.
We nave the county/parish police/sheriff/constable and others.
We have the city police and others.
Best??????? of all we have some jerks in Washington, DC. (my opinion at this time). .................lm
jensen wrote:Hi,

Out of curiosity, how is it possible to lose your silence when moving from state to state, the country you live in is called the united states isn't it ? I understand when moving to Canada or Mexico and back, but from state to state ?

Jensen

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home