Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

The rebirth of a C78 305 Honda Dream

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
4shorts
honda305.com Member

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Post by 4shorts » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:59 am

Gee I don't want to get political here but watching the news these days about the all the conflicts around the world especially Iraq and Afghanistan got to bring a person down a bit thinking about our troops over there and what they must be seeing and going through. We have two sons in the Canadian Forces who are still on Canadian soil right now but they have buddies over there that's fighting so my wife and I do our best to support there buddies by doing up boxes of candy, personal supplies and anything we think they might need to send to them. We send two boxes a month and they sure enjoy receiving them.

I guess in our own little way it's our way to show our support for our troops. Last night I even put a new t shirt on my Honda Dream rider so that he could show his support so if there's any way any of you out there can show your support I know it won't be wasted and it will be appreciated by those who risk there lives to protect our freedom and privileges that come with a democracy.

Dogsbd
honda305.com Member

Post by Dogsbd » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:03 pm

Well said Paul. My best to your sons and to all of their compatriots, wherever they may be.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:40 am

Man don't it just rot your socks when you see something on the net that looks great and when you order it and receive it, It's not what was advertised or Is the poorest of quality.

Well It seems everything I've ordered from Thailand or Bangkok have been that way. For the most part those guys over there only half do things right. Just yesterday I had a Headlight cap arrive for the old gal and wouldn't you know it, the bugger didn't fit. It was bent in the wrong places and there was no way it would go on the bike. The quality of the wing on top was good but the lower metal was awful.

This morning I decided to see if I could make this work. So using the top wing part the came with the thing I got some stainless steel and cut out a new piece. It had to have an edge on the inside to keep in in place so I used angle iron to bend an edge on it. The stainless was thin so I used sheet metal shears and took my time to cut around the outlined area. I then used a file to get the right clean edge on it and attached the wing on top. I had to get the right curvature on the top to get it to fit right and that was a little tricky because I didn't want to put a ripple in the stainless.

I think it turned out good. If anyone see these things on Ebay you'll at least know what your getting into if you order one. They don't cost much. I paid $21. plus $10. shipping but when you got to add another two hours to the cost to straighten the mess out you have to wonder if it's worth it. On the other hand It inspired me to use more stainless on the Dream. Here's a few more pics to bore the heck out of you all. Stay tuned! Paul

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:42 pm

Paul-Looks great once again.I almost bought one of those, but they just did not look that good to me in the photo on Ebay so I passed.Did you trace the one they sent you?Joe

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:28 pm

I've noticed that those sellers over in that area of the world call all the 250/305 DREAM's then if ya lucky may add (CB/CL72/77) but ya need to read all the print. ............lm

4shorts wrote:Man don't it just rot your socks when you see something on the net that looks great and when you order it and receive it, It's not what was advertised or Is the poorest of quality.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:17 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:I've noticed that those sellers over in that area of the world call all the 250/305 DREAM's then if ya lucky may add (CB/CL72/77) but ya need to read all the print. ............lm

Yep you right about that and that's where some of the problems are. Much the same on Ebay with the auctions as well when they say "NOS" parts but it never fits. Close but not close enough.

Joe I used the same pattern as the one I bought but added a little more towards the front of it. I got it right on the second attempt. First one I kind of fooled it up and wasn't happy with it. That possished stainless sure looks good. On the back of the GoldWing there are helmet holders. the problem with them is if you hang the helmets there you could scratch the paint. well I made two stainless guards to protect the paint and ended up making about fourty for our customers. (pictured)

It looked like the headllight cap I got was for a smaller headlight and possibly a Benly but I'm happy agin now (for a little while) LOL. Paul

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Paul, I think I speak for most if not all in being confident that if it were the wing and not the sheetmetal that was out of shape, you would have fabricated a fabulous honda wing, in that case.

I think the inspiration you have given with your work will fuel a great many restorations!

Michael

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home