Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 CB77 Restoration underway

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Dgormley
honda305.com Member

Post by Dgormley » Fri May 20, 2011 1:32 am

Tom, that things looking like a museum piece! Nice work...............D

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Fri May 20, 2011 7:58 am

D,

Thanks! It's shaping up ok for an amateur restoration. I really like original paint bikes but this old girl was too far gone and needed help.

HT

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Fri May 20, 2011 10:14 pm

I got the seat done today. As fate would have it, after I mailed the original trim piece to the platers, I realized I had a late seat with a cracked pan that had a decent stainless trim piece. I went ahead and used it. I will see what the cost is to have my piece re-plated. If it is too pricey I'll just have them mail it back.

HT
Attachments
seat 002.JPG
seat 003.JPG

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon May 23, 2011 2:40 am

Looks better & better, every time you post, HT!

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Mon May 23, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks, Steve. The last thing I got done was the horn. The brass tag was still in nice shape so I ground the rivits from the back and popped the tag off. Repainted the cover and put the tag back on and put two daps of JB Weld on the rivits from the back side. I got a repop white rubber plug off e-bay that was listed for a Black Bomber but it worked fine. I'll have to post a pic. I'm hoping to get a test ride in this week and make adjustments as needed.

HT

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Mon May 23, 2011 9:55 am

Here are the pics of the horn. The rubber plug I got from here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... 1c1b489fc2
I had to do a little trimming as the inside bottom was a little long and the cover wouldn't close. I still have to take a little more off as you can see from the photo.

HT
Attachments
horn 002.JPG
horn 001.JPG

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Tue May 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Arrghhhhhhhhhhh! A little hell was cast upon me today. I had been tuning the bike when it lost power. Took it back into the shop and checked valves, timing carbs, plugs etc. Turned out the right plug wire wasn't in tight enough and not consistently sparking the plug. Fired it back up and seemed to be going good, slowly bringing the rpms up and down. All of a sudden she went "BANG" and quit running. Pucked oil out the breather tube. I could turn the rotor only so far. Pulled the plugs and this is what the left one looked like. Crap, something hit it. So I looked into the cylinder and saw some metal. I could rotate the crank back and forth, but only so far. Called Ed and said I thought I broke a ring. He asked, "Do ya see all of your valve keepers?" Yes, present and accounted for. "Can you see all of you valves move through the crank rotation?" Crank will only go so far and all move except the left intake. He told me to loosen the tappet screw and see if the crank would rotate further. I did loosen it and the crank still wouldn't go past where it was previously stopped. He felt I hadn't hit a valve and the metal bits were ring bits. Now I have to drop the motor and repair. I thought I was close to being done. "Missed it by that much" as Maxwell Smart used to say.
Attachments
metal crumbs sitting on the piston
metal crumbs sitting on the piston
oops 001.JPG
Last edited by Hoosier Tom on Tue May 24, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home