Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1961 CB72 Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Donor rods

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:26 am

I had a shop which TIG welded the entire missing fin then shaped them.
Was $60.00 each. .................lm
G-Man wrote:DJM

I think you posted to the wrong part of the thread but yes - you are correct. Using the parent metal for the filler, the only option is to use conventional aluminium welding with a TiG or Oxyacetylene set.

G
DJM wrote:Not sure how that would work; I think the whole point of these kits is that the welding rod (actually it's solder) melts at a much lower temperature than the parts you're trying to repair.

If you made the rod from the same material as the parts that wouldn't happen, the donor rod wouldn't melt until it reached the same temperature as the components when the whole lot would go very quickly from a solid to a liquid state, there's a word for that critical point, I think s**t is the word I've heard used!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Just when you think you know what you're doing, something else turns up. I visited an old friend yesterday to swap a CYB72 rear fender (I now know that there are two types - more education) and this lovely NOS muffler came my way. I was intending to use the Overlander stainless reproduction mufflers on this bike but if the sister of this one turns up, I might change my mind.

There are only a couple of tiny dings and it has obviously been stored very well fro the last 50 or so years.

This is a chromed steel, rather than stainless muffler and these early ones had plain inlets with a big 'top hat' style rubber sleeve.

On the lookout for the matching right hand one now....... :-)

G
Last edited by G-Man on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:36 pm

I sold the mate at the BARBER meet. ................................lm
G-Man wrote:Just when you think you know what you're doing, something else turns up. I visited an old freind yesterday to swap a CYB72 rear fender (I now know that there are two types - more education) and this lovely NOS muffler came my way. I was intending to use the Overlander stainless reproduction mufflers on this bike but if the sister of this one turns up, I might change my mind.

There are only a couple of tiny dings and it has obviously been stored very well fro the last 50 or so years.

This is a chromed steel, rather than stainless muffler and these early ones had plain inlets with a big 'top hat' style rubber sleeve.

G

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:51 pm

LM

Such is life......

This year?

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I sold the mate at the BARBER meet. ................................lm
G-Man wrote:Just when you think you know what you're doing, something else turns up. I visited an old freind yesterday to swap a CYB72 rear fender (I now know that there are two types - more education) and this lovely NOS muffler came my way. I was intending to use the Overlander stainless reproduction mufflers on this bike but if the sister of this one turns up, I might change my mind.

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Yep.
I also sold 2 sets of the one piece mufflers and a set of the 2 piece ones.
I sold a little over $4,000 in parts.
G-Man wrote:LM

Such is life......

This year?

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I sold the mate at the BARBER meet. ................................lm

G

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Nice job!

Prices are certainly going up.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Yep.

Such is life......

This year?

G

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Prices from me were rather fair but I had LOTS OF PARTS to sell.
One feller bought $600.00 alone. ................lm

G-Man wrote:Nice job!

Prices are certainly going up.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Yep.

Such is life......

This year?

G

G

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home