Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What a concept - A Girl Bringing Back Her 1966 Super Hawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 pm

I've been working the slides up and down for a little while now, cleaning the bores between every tenth or so stroke. They're getting easier. The chokes are sticky, too. I'll have to disassemble them and clean them.
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:25 pm

malcolmgb wrote:
sarals wrote: I think the O rings under the flanges may be too big, too.
I had this problem when I got my CL175 the previous owner used too big an 'O' ring.
I used a vernier to measure the depth of the groove and added up to 0.5mm this gave me the 'O' ring cross section, I then measured the inside diameter of the groove and bought 'O' rings to those dimensions, as I tightened the bolts the flange straightened enough to return the carb body back to its correct shape and the slide worked smoothly again. Maybe I was lucky but it is worth a try.
This is a company I have used in the UK there should be similar places in the US.
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index. ... th=19_4501
I'm wondering if the sticky choke blades have had an effect on the carb bodies, as well, Malcolm. They definitely need to come out and have some attention paid to them. I'm seeing little wear patterns on the slides that point to the inlet side of the carburetors, and they seem to "catch" from half open up to full open. They don't take a lot of pressure to push back down, but I really don't know that the spring would create enough tension to overcome the "stickiness" that I'm feeling right now.

More work. It's a minor setback. I just hope I don't have to spend more money!
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:30 am

Sarals, I'm, pretty sure you have already checked it but are you sure the slides are in the correct carb. It's been along time but if I remember right there is a plastic tab on the side of the slide that fits in a grove in the carb, they are not interchangeable. Just a thought, Cliff

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:14 am

Call me when ya can.
I have a cure. ..............................lm

sarals wrote:The slide cutouts face towards the aircleaners, yes.

I've completely removed the carburetors and the slides are very tight. They don't "slide" at all. Neither one does. I'm working them up and down trying to get them to loosen up. I don't think they're going to.

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:36 am

Also, put a good straightedge across the front carb flanges to see if they're distorted from previous overtightening (low in the middle). Regards, Chase

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:04 am

LM, I'll call you for sure!

CK, I did put a straight edge across the flanges, in all directions. Both flanges are true. I checked the O rings, carefully, and they are soft enough, and have room enough in their slots, to expand and not distort the carb bodies. I also checked the insulators, for true and the O rings, and the same holds true for them. They're okay, and there is no reason, that I could find, for mounting the carbs to cause a distortion, nor are they distorted now.

Cliff, the slides are absolutely in the correct carb. The cutout faces the inlet - the air cleaner - and they are keyed to go in one way only, as you said. So, they are correct, there.

Okay, then, so I pulled out the choke blades. They are filthy, and the cavity they live in is equally gross. When I loosened up the retainer nuts, the slides started to move easier in the bores - not perfect, but much better. I think the problem, as I suspected, lies with the choke blades.

Time for a thorough cleaning!

Last edited by sarals on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:11 am

Here's a better shot of the choke blades. Notice how worn the actuator arms are? Dirt did that, I'm pretty sure! I'm wondering, when I reassemble them, if it wouldn't be a good idea to put a little bit of lithium grease on those actuators, the pins, where they contact that slot in the blades, to help them out a little? I don't think any of the lube will be able to find it's way into the venturi - so it couldn't hurt.

Last edited by sarals on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home