Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1965 Superhawk restoration - restarted

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
ASG85
honda305.com Member

Major Engine Components

Post by ASG85 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Ok, I have all the major engine components out and cleaned and am ready to start ordering parts, gaskets/seals, have some minor machine shop work done, etc., but I have a couple of questions.

This is a 1965 Superhawk, Ser # CB77E-1003824

1. Which right side engine cover do I get? 11330-268-020 or 030? I ask because the Bill Silver Engine Repair Guide, on page 2, breaks down the Honda model code as 275 for CB77 and 268 for CB72. The part number for both covers is for 268. I am pretty sure I need the 030.

2. I earlier posted photos of the rocker arms and tappet adjusting screws, do these look ok? is there excessive wear rocker arm pads and are the tappet screws too "Flat".

3. Is the oil pump in good shape? all the tolerances were good according to specs for the gears, etc.

I will take the cylinder head to a local machine shop for dipping, valve seat check and lapping the valves, and to hone the cylinders. One major component I will need to replace is the left camshaft as the tach gear has stripped the end of the camshaft and totally chewed the gear in the left side cover tach gear (see Photos)
Attachments
Major Engine Components
Major Engine Components
OilPump.jpg
Valves.jpg
Tach gear, Left side cover
Tach gear, Left side cover
Gear on end of Left camshaft, stripped gear
Gear on end of Left camshaft, stripped gear

ASG85
honda305.com Member

Tach Gear - Left side cylinder head cover

Post by ASG85 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 am

Does anyone know what size screw secures the tach gear bushing into the left side cylinder head cover?

I had to drill the old one out and the phillips head was already mostly stipped out and could not get it out even after using a cross scrwdriver, heat, penetrating oil, impact wrench.

None of the manuals and Silver books show or list it (that I can find).

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Tach Gear - Left side cylinder head cover

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Try a flat screw 6x16 93600-06016 0A .....................lm

ASG85 wrote:Does anyone know what size screw secures the tach gear bushing into the left side cylinder head cover?

I had to drill the old one out and the phillips head was already mostly stipped out and could not get it out even after using a cross scrwdriver, heat, penetrating oil, impact wrench.

None of the manuals and Silver books show or list it (that I can find).

ASG85
honda305.com Member

Post by ASG85 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks lm, BTW can you answer the questions I had on the rocker arms and tappet adjusting screws i mentioned previously?

Greatly appreciate it.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Always tough to advise on parts such as this.
The adjusters can be DOMED again with 400/600 grit on a flat sanding block pulled over in a arch.
Sorry but cant tell on the rockers. .........................lm
ASG85 wrote:Thanks lm, BTW can you answer the questions I had on the rocker arms and tappet adjusting screws i mentioned previously?

Greatly appreciate it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home