Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1965 Superhawk restoration - restarted

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
ASG85
honda305.com Member

Post by ASG85 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:14 am

HT, LX

LX, I would appreciate a photo if you don't mind?

Thanks for the info, however, I have already done this. I have hit the nut on the end of the left cam shaft which pushes the left cam shaft into the cylinder head and there is no space then to angle the cam sproket and the left cam shaft with bearings to pull it out of the center of the cylinder head. (See Clymer manual descriptions below). I also have the Silver books and there is almost the same description there. Step 3 and 4 infer the separation of the cam sprocket from the left cam shaft.

My question is, does or is the cam sproket supposed to separate from the left cam shaft?

This will then allow for the let cam shaft to go outward and the cam sprocket to be loose in the center and easily removed.

According to the books it is supposed to come apart and out. The two bearings remain on the camshaft. If I strike the nut on the outer left cam shaft back into the cylinder head, I then a have to pass the outer bearing through the inner bearing hole and by then the cam sprocket is now up against the other side of the inner center wall of the cylinder head?????

Am I not looking at this correctly?
Attachments
Honda Service, Repair Handbook 250-305cc, Clymer Publications 1971
Honda Service, Repair Handbook 250-305cc, Clymer Publications 1971
Pg. 39 describing removal of camshaft
Pg. 39 describing removal of camshaft

lix
honda305.com Member

Post by lix » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:12 am

ASG85 wrote:HT, LX

LX, I would appreciate a photo if you don't mind?

My cilinderhead is being vapourblasted for the moment so It may take wa while.

Thanks for the info, however, I have already done this. I have hit the nut on the end of the left cam shaft which pushes the left cam shaft into the cylinder head and there is no space then to angle the cam sproket and the left cam shaft with bearings to pull it out of the center of the cylinder head. (See Clymer manual descriptions below). I also have the Silver books and there is almost the same description there. Step 3 and 4 infer the separation of the cam sprocket from the left cam shaft.

My question is, does or is the cam sproket supposed to separate from the left cam shaft?

Yes

This will then allow for the let cam shaft to go outward and the cam sprocket to be loose in the center and easily removed.

According to the books it is supposed to come apart and out. The two bearings remain on the camshaft. If I strike the nut on the outer left cam shaft back into the cylinder head, I then a have to pass the outer bearing through the inner bearing hole and by then the cam sprocket is now up against the other side of the inner center wall of the cylinder head?????

Therefore I put some wood between the camshaft (turn the camshaft so the biggest part is up) and the cilinderhead frame. Then you can hit the axle and the bearing won't slide out.

Am I not looking at this correctly?

ASG85
honda305.com Member

Left Camshaft Removal and Valve Compression Tool

Post by ASG85 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:48 pm

I have tried various times to strike the left camshaft with the 8mm nut at the end of the threads but it only pushes the left camshaft, bearings, and cam sprocket into the cylinder head. The cam sprocket does not come loose from the shaft. I am very frustrated. If someone had any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I also adapted the valve compression tool that was posted to this forum at this link

http://www.honda305.com/forums/valve-sp ... t5325.html

First, thanks to those guys that posted this, it worked great. However, the 1 1/4" to 1" copper reduction fitting is not sold anymore at the big box stores. I went to four of them. I was told that the 1" size is phased out of residential homes and no longer sold. I was given advice to go to a specialty pluming shop. Instead, I found a 1" PVC connector and did the same thing. I first used a rotary tool to ream out one side of the PVC connector to fit over the valve spring and cut out a small window on the other side of the PVC adapter to fit a magnet in to get the valve keepers out.
Attachments
Adapted valve compression tool with 6" C clamp and 1" PVC adapter
Adapted valve compression tool with 6" C clamp and 1" PVC adapter
Close up of PVC adapter and window to reach the keepers
Close up of PVC adapter and window to reach the keepers

Aid3nn
honda305.com Member

Post by Aid3nn » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:46 am

yes the sprocket does indeed separate from the left half of the cam. i needed to switch to a small metal sledge to free the bolt expanding the end of the left cam onto the sprocket. once this bolt is free inside the left cam, you should be able to get the cam sprocket out.

im a visual person so i drew you a picture of the setup i used to get mine out. hopefully it helps you out. basically you need to brace the cam from sliding around in the head when you hit it. this way, maximum force gets transferred to unsticking this left cam bolt.

leftcamremoval by davidscherbarth, on Flickr

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:23 am

Aid3nn wrote:yes the sprocket does indeed separate from the left half of the cam. i needed to switch to a small metal sledge to free the bolt expanding the end of the left cam onto the sprocket. once this bolt is free inside the left cam, you should be able to get the cam sprocket out.

im a visual person so i drew you a picture of the setup i used to get mine out. hopefully it helps you out. basically you need to brace the cam from sliding around in the head when you hit it. this way, maximum force gets transferred to unsticking this left cam bolt.

leftcamremoval by davidscherbarth, on Flickr
You're hired!!!
Where were you when Clymer was writing his books?
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

ASG85
honda305.com Member

Left Camshaft Removal retry

Post by ASG85 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for the drawing. I was finally able to get the cam sprocket to release and removed all the parts. I adapted your method. (See photo)
Attachments
I used to blocks of wood to keep the cam sprocket from moving.
I used to blocks of wood to keep the cam sprocket from moving.
Left Camshaft removal 2.jpg

Aid3nn
honda305.com Member

Post by Aid3nn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:29 pm

you are welcome! glad you got it removed!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home