Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

65 CA77 305 Texas Rebuild

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Onemilewest
honda305.com Member

Post by Onemilewest » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:09 pm

22,000 miles on the O, but it is busted.

I have to play dumb on the "Leakdown" test?

I posted on the 305 section of the forum for a rebuilder, but I think I will have to make the jump.

I have another motor, but it is locked up. I was going to use it as a template for re-assembly of the other one BUT, I just noticed that I knocked a couple of fins off the head of the rebuildable one. I may and try to use the other head on it.

You know, Waco doesn't seem so far.......

mcinturff
honda305.com Member

Post by mcinturff » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:45 pm

Leakdown is where the cylinder is filled with compressed air and after a short amount of time, the amount left is taken as a percentage of how much was put into the cylinder (how much air bleeds out over time). This will tell you if your valve seats are sealing with the valves and gives a better indicator of the piston rings' condition. You can put your ear to the port and tell if you have a burnt exhaust valve or a bad intake valve.

I would get the bike running first to understand the motor's condition. It wouldn't be hard to drop out of the frame if you decide to rebuild it. I would gladly help get it running, but I don't have the time and tools to rebuild the engine.

mcinturff
honda305.com Member

Post by mcinturff » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:58 pm

If necessary, LOUDMOUSE may be able to rebuild, or at least do a valve job. He is in Kerrville, Texas, which helps on shipping. You could pull the top end apart yourself and have someone bore and hone the cylinders and have Loudmouse do the heads; new cam chain of course. Assembly...not too hard, but have an expert time the cam if you don't know how.

Onemilewest
honda305.com Member

Post by Onemilewest » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:05 pm

LOUDMOUSE - wana make some money?

I have family in Bandera and could use the trip to stop in and say hi.....

Onemile

jdbenly
honda305.com Member

Post by jdbenly » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:59 pm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:52 pm

Just returned from fighting a cedar fire. What ya have in mind. ..................lm
Onemilewest wrote:LOUDMOUSE - wana make some money?

I have family in Bandera and could use the trip to stop in and say hi.....

Onemile
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Onemilewest
honda305.com Member

Post by Onemilewest » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Well, the EBAY listing appears to be yours.. Kerrville, right?

Second. I have 2 / 305 motors. One is locked up, one free. The carbs are trashed. I will buy new or pay for a rebuild. Other than that, I wanted to put a dependable motor in my bike. If it means a full or partial rebuild, then I would want to go either route.

I have an extensive shop, just no experience rebuilding a motorcycle motors. I can do tear downs, parts bath, sandblasting, etc. I have completed 90% of everything else, but decided to go with the Hot Rod Flatz Black, so I will be repainting in a couple weeks.

I am not in a huge hurry, but would like to be complete with the motor by end of June?

Onemile

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home