Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA78 Front end grounding?

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
OldStan
honda305.com Member

CA78 Front end grounding?

Post by OldStan » Tue May 22, 2012 11:53 am

I'm putting together my Dream front end. I've grounded the headlight to the rim which I believe is grounded by the mounting bolt. Should there be another grounding wire from the rim to someplace else? I've added a wire grounding the speedo body to the fork. Is the ground between the fork and the main frame through the front end bearings? I don't see any wire in the diagrams for a ground between the two. I have a ground between the two when I use my meter, but I'm not sure if it is sufficient.

It's been a while since I've been riding so this may sound like a novice question- the way my hi/low beam switch is set up, low beam is in the forward position, is that correct?
63 CA78

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Tue May 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi,

I have made an extra ground wire between headlight shell / main frame and head light shell / speedo at the speedo cable. (I do this also with the CB72 / 77's). The ground on mainframe is connected to the same point as the negative of the battery and ground of the ignition and tail light.

I don't want current thru my speedo cable thru the speedo inner parts to the frame via lighting bulbs or otherwise.

Always make sure the headlight shell is grounded to the forks (sand away that paint).

Not that I have personally encountered issue's, but it's better to avoid them anyway.
Rubber tires, running on tarmac or otherwise can introduce static voltage which loops via the speedo wire into the speedo.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Tue May 22, 2012 3:16 pm

The ground on mainframe is connected to the same point as the negative of the battery and ground of the ignition and tail light.
Thanks for the input. I think I'll run another wire from the shell to the speedo and from there to the main frame. I take it you mean you hook it to the bolt on the frame where the ground cable is attached? I don't understand the reference to the ground of the ignition, are you talking coil or switch? The coil grounds through the points and I'm not aware of any ground on the switch, am I missing something? As for the tail light, it grounds at the bracket, or have you added a ground wire for that as well?
63 CA78

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 am

Correct on the switch positions Stan!

Davo

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Re: CA78 Front end grounding?

Post by rzgkane » Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 pm

OldStan wrote: It's been a while since I've been riding so this may sound like a novice question- the way my hi/low beam switch is set up, low beam is in the forward position, is that correct?
Strange, huh? But correct. Seems like a swap of the blue and green wires on my CA78 Dream would reverse that.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi,

What I'm saying is to put every ground on one place on the frame, via the harness or otherwise (like the front end).

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Wed May 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Strange, huh? But correct. Seems like a swap of the blue and green wires on my CA78 Dream would reverse that.
I actually thought about that, but since the blue wire has the dual connector for the high beam indicator light it wouldn't be quite that simple- beside, Honda knows best, right?
What I'm saying is to put every ground on one place on the frame, via the harness or otherwise (like the front end).
I see the logic in that, particularly on the front end since everything is close together. I decided to run the additional ground from the front to the main frame routed alongside the main harness then across through the frame next to the horn wires and hooked to the horn mounting screw. This keeps the wire short and basically out of sight (it's a black wire to match everything else there.) Granted it is one more connection, but it seemed simpler to me.
63 CA78

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home