Admirers

Stalling issue

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
cdf7640
honda305.com Member

Stalling issue

Post by cdf7640 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Hey guys,

I have a '65 CB77, which has been running well with the exception of an electrical problem that seems to be getting worse. Basically my bike keeps stalling, regardless of whether I'm stopped or moving and the neutral light goes off. If I jiggle the key in the ignition the light will turn back on and then I can start it again. I'm assuming it's some sort of loose connection in the ignition area of the bike? The odd thing is that if I jiggle the key in the ignition while it's running it won't stall.

Ideas?

Thanks,

CDF

cdf7640
honda305.com Member

Post by cdf7640 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Also, I was riding last night and for some reason when I had my high-beams on my blinkers wouldn't work and the bike would begin to severely bog. Once I flicked my head-lights to the low-beam position (barely visible and dangerous) the engine immediately kicked back in and the blinkers began to work.

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 am

You surely have some odd things going on.

I would start by-
1- Replace the battery or charge and test to be sure it is good.

2- Check over all electrical connections-battery cables at both ends, fuse holder, and back of ignition switch.

3- Check the battery is getting recharged.

It sounds to me as though your troubles may be due to low battery voltage.

There are lots of posts in the archives to help you with these issues.

Let us know what you find?
64' CB77
65' CB160

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:23 pm

All Hondas are sensitive to low voltage which weakens the ignition system. It is very possible that turning the high beam on, which takes more current, put you over the top for sufficient voltage. The battery and charging system must be in excellent shape and if you ride around at low rpm's at night you are going to have a problem.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home