Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Your newest pain in the ass....

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
ApriliaBill
honda305.com Member

Your newest pain in the ass....

Post by ApriliaBill » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:13 pm

Ok, haven't had a Super Hawk in over 16 years and it looks like I've lost all knowledge of these bikes. Luckily I have you fine gentlemen to save my ass....

Just bought a 63. When I went to pick it up, it was on a trickle charger. We fired it (it doesn't really run, carb issue) and I took it home. The battery had enough power to fire it several times over the weekend for short bits till the carbs bogged.

Today I come home and the battery is dead.... No issue, I have a trickle charger, but funny thing is, I can't get a stale red (positive hook up). I've tried everything and can't get it to a stale red. Tried several places to ground, even took the hookups off the battery and connected direct to the battery and nothing.

Yes I checked it on my other bikes, and the charger is fine. By the way the battery is a Power Source CB9L-A2.

cbhutch
honda305.com Member

Post by cbhutch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:29 pm

Check for a defective battery first. Then check for current draw. Poor connections and corroded grounds.

klp
honda305.com Member

Post by klp » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:33 pm

cbhutch wrote:Check for a defective battery first.
+1. I bet your battery has got a short.

ApriliaBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ApriliaBill » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:01 pm

klp wrote:
cbhutch wrote:Check for a defective battery first.
+1. I bet your battery has got a short.
I'm sure you guys are right, I've tried everything and it's dead. I'm going to get a new one...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home