Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cheap & Easy Dream Headlight Replacement

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Jims65CA77
honda305.com Member

Post by Jims65CA77 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:41 pm

hotrodhendrix wrote:
Very good info. I bet many would appreciate a how to with pics if you get the chance.

~James
I would appreciate that, even though at this time.... eh, knock wood... ;)
Jim

Now working/riding on my 1965 CA77 Dream...

Lassociety
honda305.com Member

Post by Lassociety » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Sorry for the long delay, I was out of town and had to get back to get pictures. The reflector is made out of metal and is plated on the reflector side. The metal bends around the glass to hold the glass in place. there is a rubber seal between the glass and the reflector. I used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to gently cut the metal around 3 of the four sides of the metal that surrounds the glass, then I gently pried until the glass came off. At this time, I de-soldered the bulb I think with a propane torch. I took the bulb into Batteries Plus, and got the closest to a replacement bulb as possible. I don't have any info on what that was, but as I recall, the filaments were very close to the same location, but not exactly, so they may not be optimized for the shape of the reflector. I soldered in the new bulb and cleaned the glass and reflector really well. I put clear RTV silicone around the edge and put the glass back in, careful for there to be no moisture inside. I have a lead shot bag that it very heavy that I placed on top until it was dry. Removing only 3 sides of the metal allows it to slide in underneath one side which helps hold it together even if the silicone ever breaks. After re-assembly, you cant even see the edge of the bulb to be able to tell that this operation has taken place. Attached are a few photos, In one of them I have tried to draw on the picture to make it clear where the metal edge is, and where I cut it back (its very hard to photograph)
Attachments
Here is the finished bulb, you cant see the edge because of the trim ring.
Here is the finished bulb, you cant see the edge because of the trim ring.
20141115_123840 edit.jpg (238.26 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
This shows the metal edge, and where it has been trimmed back.
This shows the metal edge, and where it has been trimmed back.
20141115_123621edit.jpg (173.24 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
You can see the Solder here
You can see the Solder here
20141115_123308edit.jpg (114.5 KiB) Viewed 1280 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home