honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

'67 Hawk Elctrical Gremlins, i.e. what am I looking at here?

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
dagersh
honda305.com Member

Post by dagersh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:34 pm

So,

Its been a while since my last update, but for good reason! I have been working like crazy on the bike. And, SUCCESS!!!

First of all, when the PO installed the Probe EI, he/she thought red from the control module went to red on the wiring harness in the bucket. Well, red in the bucket is the Main Headlight (High Beam). So when I turned the brights off, the ignition was shut off as well. I still do not know what the push-button switch was for...

I got in touch with Mark at Probe Engineering, and sure enough, we diagnosed a blown module for the Ignition. It was a 1st Series Unit, and has the potential to overheat and be destroyed if you leave the key in the on position. Sure enough, that is what I had done. <ark hooked me up with a new unit that is programmable for Rev Limits. It was very easy to install and even easier to time. I put the control box under the battery. Normally, I would not put it there, but I am using a Shorai battery, so there is some airflow getting to the control box.

I also installed a 3-Wire Rectifier from Oregon Cycles to replace my melted Sileneum one. The bike now holds a charge beautifully.

Finally, I let the bike sit for a week with Sea Foam in the carbs that I slowly added and allowed the bike to stall out on it. The bike was not getting fuel and kept dying on me. The choke linkage was a bit sticky, and would not open on the right side carb. I got all of that worked out and rerouted my fuel lines. Upon my return this week, I gave her fresh gas and she kicked right over into a solid idle.

Now all my lights work great, the engine runs like a beast and after being off the road for 3 years, it felt great to bring the bike onto some twisties! What a great bike!!!!

Next up, I have to fix my horn and rebuild the starter - it just stopped working. But in the meantime - I will just give her a run every couple of days. This winter I want to pull her apart and take care of the horrible paintjob that the PO sold the bike with. Of course, gas has leaked under the paint around the filler cap and bubbled the paint. She is all there, and in great shape, so it should be a reatively easy restoration.

Thanks to everyone for your help! LM, your advice is precious and I thank you for all your advice!

I will post some pics.

Gersh

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home