honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

'67 Hawk Elctrical Gremlins, i.e. what am I looking at here?

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
dagersh
honda305.com Member

Post by dagersh » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:41 pm

OK - definitely an electonic ignition. Can anyone ID it? I need to see a wiring diagram.

The writing on the right hand side says "Superhawk" "Ignition" "sensor" "HAL"

Very 2001 A Space Odyssey!

Some further pics:

The Green Wires seem to ground on the Coil Brackets...

As always, thank you for you input!

Gersh

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 pm

It is a PHROBE ENGINEERING system. ...........lm
dagersh wrote:OK - definitely an electonic ignition. Can anyone ID it? I need to see a wiring diagram.

The writing on the right hand side says "Superhawk" "Ignition" "sensor" "HAL"

Very 2001 A Space Odyssey!

Some further pics:

The Green Wires seem to ground on the Coil Brackets...

As always, thank you for you input!

Gersh

dagersh
honda305.com Member

Post by dagersh » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:34 pm

LM,

As always, you da' man!

I will search for a diagram.

Thanks!

Gersh

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:42 pm

I can scan and eMail you one. .........lm
dagersh wrote:LM,

As always, you da' man!

I will search for a diagram.

Thanks!

Gersh

dagersh
honda305.com Member

Post by dagersh » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 pm

LM,

Sent you a PM.

Thanks!!!

Gersh

dagersh
honda305.com Member

Post by dagersh » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:25 pm

OK,

I dug in a bit more into the wiring harness. If you reference the pics above, the weird switch in the headlight bucket acted as a simple on/off on the RED Main Beam wire. On top of that, the red wire coming off the Probe Engineering EI unit is also spliced on this same circuit. The result was that if you switch to the low beam, the power to the EI was shut off, and the motor shut down.

My assumption is that the Red wire will not have power to it without the lighting switch on top of the nacelle supplying power to the Red wire... I could however be wrong.

I am thinking this because the red wire has no power as it comes out of the left hand switch, which controls the High/Low beam and the horn.

Here is my second assumption: The Black/White wire on the harness is switched power. Wouldn't this wire be where you would want to supply power to the EI? A further assumption would be that the red wire going into the Probe EI supplies power to the unit. The rest of the wires in the Probe EI are Black,Blue, Yellow and Green. This being so, the red wire is the only wire going into the bike's harness.

Anyway - I am just throwing ideas out here. Everything works, except for the horn, but I will get to that after I know the EI is functional.

As always, thanks for your input.

Gersh

dagersh
honda305.com Member

Post by dagersh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:18 am

OK,

So I was coating the inside of the tank, and while I was waiting for it to cure, I decided to see if the EI worked on the black switched power circuit in the headlight bucket. My reasoning would be that if I used constant power, it would drain the battery when the bike was off. I plugged it in and checked for power to the unit, all good. However, no spark at the plugs.

I am hoping that somewhere there is a bad connection. I am going to get in touch with Probe Engineering and see what he has to say.

Onward and upward....

Oh yeah - the PO removed the filter screen from the petcock as well. The more I get into this bike, the more I am realizing the PO had no idea what he was doing.

That's OK, I am going to make this bike run like it did the day it came off the line.

Gersh

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home