Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Ca77 Rewire + ignition switch ?s

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
bloodweiser
honda305.com Member

Ca77 Rewire + ignition switch ?s

Post by bloodweiser » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:43 pm

A rewire is in the near future for my dream.
And I like to get all my ducks in a row before I tackle a project.

Everything looks to be rather straight forward except the ignition switch.
Been searching as much as I can.
http://www.honda305.com/forums/1965-ca7 ... n%20switch <-- This thread has great pics for anyone interested in the subject. But I'm still at a loss as to how the wires are connected to the switch itself... are they soldered?

Any tips or bits of knowledge from anyone who's been down this road would be appreciated.
--------
'63 Dream
'68 CT90 (x2)
'76 RD400
'06 Xl1200R

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Re: Ca77 Rewire + ignition switch ?s

Post by rzgkane » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:14 pm

bloodweiser wrote:A rewire is in the near future for my dream.
And I like to get all my ducks in a row before I tackle a project.

Everything looks to be rather straight forward except the ignition switch.
Been searching as much as I can.
http://www.honda305.com/forums/1965-ca7 ... n%20switch <-- This thread has great pics for anyone interested in the subject. But I'm still at a loss as to how the wires are connected to the switch itself... are they soldered?

Any tips or bits of knowledge from anyone who's been down this road would be appreciated.
My recollection is that the wires are soldered to tabs at the back of the ignition switch. If the ignition switch is working properly I would just leave the present wires soldered to the switch and cut/solder new wires a couple inches away from the switch.
1965 CA77Dream

raindriver
honda305.com Member

Post by raindriver » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Since I just did (sort of) what you're planning:

The ignition switch leads all go to a nice plastic coupler (on mine). The leads to the coupler are all soldered to the back of the switch. If I had my 'druthers, I wouldn't solder on the switch, too much risk of over-heat damage (at least, if you are as bad a solder-er as me).

When I took my harness out and had a good look, everything was in real fine condition...except the wires running up and into the handlebars...lots of issues with my wires and with connections inside the handlebar-mounted switchgear.

Good luck!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home