Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New to restorations - need a CA77 Wiring harness

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Apex cycle had them for sale, brand new, but they were $90. I was thinking about picking one up, but now they are sold out. I've asked them if they plan on getting more in and haven't heard back yet.

wesben
honda305.com Member

Post by wesben » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:04 pm

I did end up making up the one I needed. It took some effort to find the right color coded wire and gauges. I had to fudge occasionally when for example I couldn't find the light green and red wire for the neutral switch I went with a red and green wire. I also used the sleeving and connectors from Vintage Connections. It probabaly wouldn't pass the purists test but came pretty close and I was pleased with the results. I used the old harness and the color coded wiring diagram religously and would have been lost without them. If this isn't your cup of tea, this previously mentioned one on ebay looks good. After making one up $90 seems pretty cheap for the work involved. I'd check over anything from APEX closely against the original and the schematic before installing.
64 CA77, 82 CB750C, 69 Mustang, 79 Vette, looking for next project

pineapple dave
honda305.com Member

Post by pineapple dave » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:43 am

I too am in the same situation and looking at EBAY and APEX. I'd pay the $90.00 that APEX asks if I knew it would work. Has anybody ever bought one on there ? I bought some spokes and not to happy with them so kind of leary to buy from them again.

brcree
honda305.com Member

Harness........

Post by brcree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:55 am

Can i step in here for a minute?........I have been toying with the idea of making new wiring harness for the 305's. I've located all the parts I need. Just wondering if there is enough interest for my time and effort. It looks like I could sell them for around $100.00. Wes.......I too haven't been able to locate all the colors I need but can label each wire as to what it connects to.
In God we trust!.....Nothing like some breeze on the knees!

Ford Guy
honda305.com Member

wire harness

Post by Ford Guy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 am

brcee
I would be interested in a harness for a CL77 Is that something you could build?

Jon

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 am

I'd buy one! I want to have the bike painted and it bothers me to put all that effort into restoring and making it look nice, knowing the wiring is held together with spit!

brcree
honda305.com Member

harness....

Post by brcree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:51 am

Thanks for the interest so far guys........I will be asking everyone to send me their old harness so I can make a copy of it and then send it back with the new one. If a few more folks are interested, I will go ahead and purchase the tools and related items to get started.
In God we trust!.....Nothing like some breeze on the knees!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home