Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

winkers

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
rustywrench
honda305.com Member

winkers

Post by rustywrench » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Along the assembly process, I decided to use an aftermarket winker system from an ebay seller. For the most part this was a reasonable system for the money. However I now find that at cruising speeds they flash rapidly and act like they don't like the vibration of the scrambler, with erratic flashing to boot. At idle they are normal.
I'm thinking the flasher unit is voltage sensitive since at high revs I'm at over 14vdc.
Question: Would a more modern solid state flasher work better with the vibs and higher voltages?
Or even one off of a cb450 or such? Rw

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:47 am

It's not the vibes; it's the higher, unstabilised voltage -- I had the same problem with the original bi-metal type flasher can.

Get an electronic 12V flasher relay from a motor factors outlet or auto-electrics shop; it will have three terminals instead of two, one of which is ground. Lamps (switch centre contact) is denoted 'X' or 'L' (Euro is '52a'), 12V is denoted '+' (Euro is '+15' or just '15') and ground would be either the ISO symbol or 'E' or 'Gnd' (Euro is '31'). I think mine was about €5. I now have a steady 120 fpm irrespective of riding or motor off.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

winkers

Post by rustywrench » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks, Steve, I figured that's where I needed to go. It was the winker performance that actually drew my attention to the charging system. I checked the terminal voltage as per your advice elsewhere and am relieved to find a healthy charging system. A silver lining in every cloud, eah?
Thanks again, RW

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

winkers

Post by rustywrench » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 pm

I found an electronic flasher at NAPA for $13 and hooked that up today. I'm satisfied with the results. Steady flash regardless of the RPM.
In hind sight, the winker kit really is a piece of cheap foreign junk but then all I really wanted was to ride the rest of this season safely. I will most likely be looking this off season for some winkers that would be more correct for this bike if that is possible. Any suggestions as to what mod/year would be better for my cl?????????? Later,,,,,RW

mooney1el
honda305.com Member

Post by mooney1el » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:08 pm

I am considering putting CB/CL350 lamps on my CL77 and would appreciate the part number of the electronic flasher you found at NAPA. I purchased a switch through eBay, a simple single pole, dual throw toggle in a housing purposely made for 3/4 inch bars ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0152904673 ).

Thanks,

Richard

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:57 pm

No part number available now, it's buried under the seat. I went to the rack and chose from a number of flashers. The one I bought had three pins. pos., neg, and lamp. Unless I'm mistaken the cl77 has a 7/8 bar so 3/4 may be a bit tight. But then I may be wrong and I wouldn't want Ed to slap me again. RW

PS, that switch looks like it would do the trick. RW

mooney1el
honda305.com Member

Post by mooney1el » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:44 am

Sorry, the switch is designed for 7/8" bars and fits nicely on mine.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home