Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Epoxy Primer over Self-Etching?

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Epoxy Primer over Self-Etching?

Post by Spargett » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:29 am

Is it better to apply an epoxy primer over a self-etching primer, then a top coat? Or does it not matter. I was doing some reading and I heard a few people talking about it. Curious as to what my motorcycle friends have to say. I currently have a layer of self-etching curing on my lower crankcase right now.

There also seems to be a great debate online over whether self-etching primer is obsolete or not.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Epoxy Primer over Self-Etching?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:57 am

Why did ta primer the cases?. .................lm
Spargett wrote:Is it better to apply an epoxy primer over a self-etching primer, then a top coat? Or does it not matter. I was doing some reading and I heard a few people talking about it. Curious as to what my motorcycle friends have to say. I currently have a layer of self-etching curing on my lower crankcase right now.

There also seems to be a great debate online over whether self-etching primer is obsolete or not.

RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Re: Epoxy Primer over Self-Etching?

Post by Spargett » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm going to give painting the lower case a shot for a cleaner finish. Primer before paint. Any opinions as to posed debate above?
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Why did ta primer the cases?. .................lm

Brandonrre
honda305.com Member

Cases

Post by Brandonrre » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:25 am

I would not have primed and painted the cases. I had mine blasted and they look like new. It's a really easy job compared to priming and painting. Just cover up all the holes with plugs and a glue gun and you are set to go.
1963 CA77
1966 CA77
1966 CB160

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Re: Cases

Post by Spargett » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:31 pm

I agree with you, but I don't have access to a sandblasted that large. I feel it came out pretty good as an alternative for those of us without that resource.

You can see more photos here. Flickr Photostream

Brandonrre wrote:I would not have primed and painted the cases. I had mine blasted and they look like new. It's a really easy job compared to priming and painting. Just cover up all the holes with plugs and a glue gun and you are set to go.
Last edited by Spargett on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brandonrre
honda305.com Member

Looks good

Post by Brandonrre » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Looks good Spargett. I am located in San Jose so we are not that far apart. Maybe we can meet up at the Auburn show and swap restoration stories. I just sent my Dream parts off to get painted and now I am looking for a good place that does chrome in the bay area. No luck so far so I might have to head south to LA LA land.
1963 CA77
1966 CA77
1966 CB160

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Re: Looks good

Post by Spargett » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:06 pm

What/when is the Auburn show?
Brandonrre wrote:Looks good Spargett. I am located in San Jose so we are not that far apart. Maybe we can meet up at the Auburn show and swap restoration stories. I just sent my Dream parts off to get painted and now I am looking for a good place that does chrome in the bay area. No luck so far so I might have to head south to LA LA land.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home