Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

2nd Annual Maryland Spring Ride....

Rides, Meets, Shows, Races, etc. | Literature: Repair, Parts, History, Philosophy (ZatAoMM)
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

2nd Annual Maryland Spring Ride....

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Just feeling out the level of interest for those of you in the Maryland / Southern Pennsylvania region...

I'm planning the 2nd Annual Spring Ride for sometime in April (Hopefully I'll come up with a better name for the ride!). Last year we did a 75 mile ride from Reisterstown to Broom's Bloom in Belair. This year the meetup point is the same (Martha and Mary's in Old Town Reisterstown), but the destination is Port Deposit, MD. I did a dry run of the route today, and it clocks in at about 85 miles one-way. The route covers about 2/3 of what we did last year, but the final 1/3 is much more interesting than last year. As well, I had a conversation with the husband/wife owners of the local cafe in Port Deposit, and the husband is on the local city council. He's offered to 'pylon off' a parking section for us, depending upon how many riders ultimately participate.

I haven't yet arrived at a definite date, but it will be on either a Saturday or a Sunday in April (hopefully a nice sunny day, of course!). If anyone here is interested, let me know and I'll put you down on the list. As well, I'll be posting the route here in advance so you can review it.

Let's hope for good weather and a good turnout!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:05 am

Here is the route -- for those of you who attended last year's ride, you'll notice that everything is the same until step 26.....

1) From Martha and Mary's (Main St. Reisterstown), turn right out of the parking lot and head to Rt. 128 (about a mile down the road).
2) Turn right on Rt. 128, ride through Glyndon, and head to Butler Rd. Turn left on Butler Rd.
3) Take Butler Rd. to Dover Rd., bear left, then left again onto Dover Rd.
4) Dover Rd. becomes Trenton Rd. at the stop sign. Go straight at the stop sign onto Trenton Rd.
5) Take Trenton Rd. to the T-intersection at Black Rock Rd, turn left.
6) Take Black Rock Rd. to the traffic circle, and continue on Black Rock Rd.
7) At the stop sign, turn right onto Rt. 30 (Main St. Hampstead). This is one spot where our group could get separated.
8 ) Ride a very short distance and turn right onto Upper Beckleysville Rd. (This is a very small intersection)
9) Take Upper Beckleysville Rd. to the T-intersection at Brick Store Rd., turn left.
10) Take the 1st right on Brick Store Rd. onto Beckleysville Rd.
11) Cross Falls Rd. and continue on Beckleysville Rd.
12) Beckleysville Rd. curves right and becomes Cotter Rd.
13) Follow Cotter Rd. to Middletown Rd., turn right.
14) Middletown Rd. to York Rd., turn right.
15) York Rd. to Wiseburg Rd., turn left.
16) Ride to the Wiseburg Rd./Graystone Rd. intersection, and bear right to continue on Wiseburg Rd.
17) Follow Wiseburg Rd. to Hunters Mill Rd., turn left.
18) At the Hunters Mill Rd./Vernon Rd. fork, bear right to continue on Hunters Mill Rd.
19) Continue on Hunters Mill Rd. to the T-intersection at Troyer Rd. (unmarked), turn left.
20) Troyer Rd. to Norrisville Rd., turn right.
21) Follow Norrisville Rd. to Madonna Rd, turn left.
22) Madonna Rd. to Telegraph Rd., turn right.
23) Telegraph Rd. to Rt. 136, turn right.
24) Rt. 136 to Fawn Grove Rd., turn right.
25) Fawn Grove Rd. to Rt. 165, turn left.
26) Follow Rt. 165 through the traffic circle at Rt. 24, continue on Rt. 165.
27) Turn right on Rt. 136, then take 1st left onto Old Pylesville Rd (becomes Main St. in Cardiff).
28) Take Old Pylesville Rd. to Krick Rd, turn right (crossing into PA).
29) Krick Rd. to Burke Rd, turn right.
30) Burke Rd. to Rt. 623, turn left (heading back into Maryland).
31) Follow Rt. 623 to Rt. 1, turn left (to head North).
32) Cross the Conowingo Dam, take first right onto Rt. 222.
33) Rt. 222 to Port Deposit.
34) Rest!

As well, last year's ride took place on April 10th, so I'll see if I can plan the ride for around that time. As well, if anyone has any suggestions for other outlets to promote the ride, please do let me know.

There is no cost to the ride at all -- I just want to get out and ride. But I'll probably need to give the folks at both ends of the ride (Martha & Mary's, Port Deposit) a head count so that they'll know what to expect. I think a week's notice should be sufficient.

So have a look at the ride on your map and let me know what you think. If you have any suggestions for modification, I'm all ears.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:11 am

Update on the ride: The date is tentatively set for April 17th, with the rain date being May 1.

If there is anyone here on the Forum who is interested in participating, please do let me know. I think I'll need to get a final head count by the 10th so I can let the people in Port Deposit know how many will be arriving, and then they can arrange the parking accordingly.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:11 am

Our 2nd Annual Maryland Spring Ride (otherwise known as The Vintage Motorbike Fanciers' Sunday Jaunt) was held yesterday. It was a breezy and sometimes debris-strewn 85 mile route, but everyone arrived safe and sound in Port Deposit, MD. A total of 16 bikes attended (with a few peeling off early), and took in some of the best two-lane twisty roads in north/northeast Maryland. We had everything from vintage Hondas to a full-dress Harley -- and to think that a diminutive SuperHawk led them all.....

Thanks to all who attended, and hope to see you at next year's ride -- who knows where we'll go then!

A few photos....

Special thanks to Kevin and Pat at The Hidden Bean in Port Deposit -- you guys are the best!!!

JeffA
honda305.com Member

Post by JeffA » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:40 am

Great ride Vince. If it could have been a bit less windy, it would have been perfect - though the wind was more annoying during the shortcut home on 95 than it was in the cover of trees during most of the actual ride route.

Love the pics as always. Wondering why Dan and I are apparently at the serious side of the table at Martha and Mary's, rather than the fun side that the rest of the crew were apparently at.

Hats off to you for the fantastic route selection and coordination of starting point and destination. Definitely glad I brought the CX which ran and handled extremely well. While the Dream would have been fun as you point out, those of us with a mere 305cc and 4 gears would have been a bit challenged I think to keep up with the Ducati's, BMWs, and other 1000cc+ bikes. I'd definitely be up for a similar route for 305's only at some point.

Thanks again.

Jeff
1996 Suzuki DR350

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home