Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Any interest in race seat replicas?

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
nc_rider
honda305.com Member

Post by nc_rider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 pm

I might be interested in one.. are you going to make a cover for it too, or just the foam and pan? Going to an upholsterer with an order for 5 or 6 of those is better than each of us trying to get one done.

Go ahead and make a few extra. You know others will want one. ;)

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:45 pm

nc_rider wrote:I might be interested in one.. are you going to make a cover for it too, or just the foam and pan? Going to an upholsterer with an order for 5 or 6 of those is better than each of us trying to get one done.

Go ahead and make a few extra. You know others will want one. ;)
They will be upholstered. I run an upholstery shop so it shouldn't be a problem. :-)

Andy's CB
honda305.com Member

Post by Andy's CB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:38 pm

nice!

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Got the seat in yesterday. Man has this thing seen better days :-)

The pan is in good shape though aside from a few small dings, some rust, and slight modification to the mounting bracket.

The foam was all measured and assembly was noted. Looks like Honda used simple 1/4 foam stock to build the entire seat and a few 3/4" high density pieces for greater support along the center and back. It was all bad so it was trashed. This will be replaced with modern day equivalent which should be more comfortable. This also means that no complex seat molding will be necessary and the chance of meeting the target price is increased substantially.

Here is a cross section of the different layers on the seat:

Here's the pan stripped of foam:

As you can see, the race seat is actually three separate metal parts not including the brackets. The pan itself is mostly flat, the front hump is a separate piece and the flat back support is separate. I disassembled the seat and the brackets to get it down to it's basic components. The few spot welds were drilled out an the pieces were all straightened properly. The brackets were also removed. I left the rear piece on as I won't need a mold of it and will be replicating it in metal since it is a simple part.

This also helps me get in all the nooks that couldn't be reached before so I can remove the rust and seal it a bit before this pan is welded back together

The brackets have been straightened and I'll be drawing up schematics tonight to send to my machinist. I also had to design a tack strip that will be laser cut as you can't get a tack strip with the points facing down for some reason. In the end, these details should help the replica look as close to the original as possible instead of a sloppy single fiberglass mold like the ebay ones.

I should hopefully get some pricing for the brackets and tack strips by the end of the week. I'll also be dropping the pan off with my fiberglass guy this week to get the molds started. At this moment, I'm optimistic that I should be able to reach the price point

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 pm

cyclon36 wrote:Got the seat in yesterday. Man has this thing seen better days :-)

The pan is in good shape though aside from a few small dings, some rust, and slight modification to the mounting bracket.

The foam was all measured and assembly was noted. Looks like Honda used simple 1/4 foam stock to build the entire seat and a few 3/4" high density pieces for greater support along the center and back. It was all bad so it was trashed. This will be replaced with modern day equivalent which should be more comfortable. This also means that no complex seat molding will be necessary and the chance of meeting the target price is increased substantially.

Here is a cross section of the different layers on the seat:

Here's the pan stripped of foam:

As you can see, the race seat is actually three separate metal parts not including the brackets. The pan itself is mostly flat, the front hump is a separate piece and the flat back support is separate. I disassembled the seat and the brackets to get it down to it's basic components. The few spot welds were drilled out an the pieces were all straightened properly. The brackets were also removed. I left the rear piece on as I won't need a mold of it and will be replicating it in metal since it is a simple part.

This also helps me get in all the nooks that couldn't be reached before so I can remove the rust and seal it a bit before this pan is welded back together

The brackets have been straightened and I'll be drawing up schematics tonight to send to my machinist. I also had to design a tack strip that will be laser cut as you can't get a tack strip with the points facing down for some reason. In the end, these details should help the replica look as close to the original as possible instead of a sloppy single fiberglass mold like the ebay ones.

I should hopefully get some pricing for the brackets and tack strips by the end of the week. I'll also be dropping the pan off with my fiberglass guy this week to get the molds started. At this moment, I'm optimistic that I should be able to reach the price point
I am SO excited to see this thing all done!!! I want one so bad!!!

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

CYB seats

Post by GORDON BROWN » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:20 am

Hello everyone

A bit late as usual with this but I read the ebay advert that you refered to and it suggests that the seat is a early one (with red foam) and fits all models? I dont think this is the case as my one and the one you are using as a pattern both use "red foam" and I imagine they are both for the 62 onwards machines. Its not a big issue as I dont think that many people will be looking for them for 61 bikes but you never know?
I hope you get on well with the seats, at least people will know what they are getting.

Yours
Gordon

SAFOJ

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

replica seat

Post by bikedoctor99 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:41 am

Always fascinating to see a master at his work-- very inspiring and promising. A well co-ordinated venture by two forum members, community spirit at its best! allan

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home