Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Phil-UK
honda305.com Member

Post by Phil-UK » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:12 am

Hi Vince, G-Man

I was looking through some old ( early '70s ) copies of Motor Cycle and in the "Paddock Gossip"
they mention the first of these type of dampers with the rod passing all the way through the
body. One of the advantages claimed was that the oil wasn't being pumped into different chambers
so that the action was more consistent.
Before that I think people used the Honda style dampers that look like small suspension units -
which ones are you after Vince ? Are you in touch with the Read-Titan register in the UK VJMC ?

Was looking through the mags trying to find an edition from when I won a CB500 .. still looking.

cheers

Phil

PS - haven't forgotten the transfers Vince.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:05 am

Thanks for the info, Phil. I have one of those CL77 steering dampers (looks like a little shock absorber), so I'm not sure if those other ones to which you refer would be 'period' or not. I'll have a look at those and see if they might work, but I still have to figure out the mounting bolt for the lower triple tree. Mine has the tapped hole in it for the stud, but I don't think I can buy the stud separately.
Hmmm....I wonder if a lower triple tree from a CL77 would fit on a CB77?

I don't belong to the Read-Titan register with the VJMC UK, but that might also be something to look into.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:18 am

Vince

I have two CL triple trees. I'll have a look to see if the stud can be removed and measure it up. Ought to be possible to copy it.

As for the Read Titan in CB. Yes, I did see that - a nice looking bike. I'm also very impressed with the bike in the threads on here showing a CB450 head grafted onto a SuperHawk bottom end.

G

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:55 am

I think I'm going to stick with the CL77 steering damper. I spent about 45 minutes this morning with the unit on the buffing wheel, and used some Wizards polishing wool, plus Mothers Back to Black on the rubber boot. Looks almost like an NOS part now!

As far as that stud goes, I think it's welded into that hole on a CL77. I don't know if studs that are used on new steering dampers would work?

Initial Buffing....

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:58 am

Since I only have the one bike, I feel like I've been liberated to turn my attention to other aesthetic matters.....like helmets!

So, my wife has agreed to my replacing my Davida Classic Jet helmet next year (always nice to run these things by her -- keeps the peace in the household!). After all, you're supposed to replace your helmet every 5 years, right? After looking at various brands and styles, including another Davida, I've settled on one of these puppies:

I was tending towards the black one with the visor, but my wife is liking the red-white-blue one (two views are shown here), though I don't have any blue on the bike. I think the checkered one is a bit much (yes, even I have my limits!). Of course the other issue is that the red-white-blue one is almost equivalent to a mortgage payment!

Here is Ateliers Ruby's website to see even more insanity: http://www.ateliersruby.com

Thoughts?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Vince, unless you absolutely have to have the vintage look, consider a top of the line Arai helmet. It's all I have worn for the last 20 years, street and dirt. They can't be beat for comfort, durability, lightweight, and most importantly, safety.

davomoto

http://www.araiamericas.com/#/home

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Yes I already have an Arai Profile 'Flag UK' helmet, and it's great in the cooler weather. I'm just looking to replace my Davida Classic Jet that I primarily wear, plus for a little variety.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home