Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Tippy turning.....

aerojack7654
honda305.com Member

Tippy turning.....

Post by aerojack7654 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:51 pm

I have question for Dream owners - I bought some new tires with a modern tread and profile, not vintage, for my rebuilt Dream. I noticed during my limited driving time that the bike really wanted to tip into any turn inputs that I made, something that made for some difficult to coordinate turning. Would this behavior be a result of the non-original tread and profile? the tires that I put on have a much more rounded profile that the period tires, I was told by a seller that these would make the bike a lot more stable at higher speeds than the original tires - but the bike is very squirrely steering at this point. If not tires, I was wondering if possible worn steering head bearings might be responsible (they didn't seem to exhibit any wear during rebuild - under 10k miles showing). Any insights?

Thanks!
Jack

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Tippy turning.....

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Have you ever ridden a bike with that design front end?. .........lm
aerojack7654 wrote:I have question for Dream owners - I bought some new tires with a modern tread and profile, not vintage, for my rebuilt Dream. I noticed during my limited driving time that the bike really wanted to tip into any turn inputs that I made, something that made for some difficult to coordinate turning. Would this behavior be a result of the non-original tread and profile? the tires that I put on have a much more rounded profile that the period tires, I was told by a seller that these would make the bike a lot more stable at higher speeds than the original tires - but the bike is very squirrely steering at this point. If not tires, I was wondering if possible worn steering head bearings might be responsible (they didn't seem to exhibit any wear during rebuild - under 10k miles showing). Any insights?

Thanks!
Jack

aerojack7654
honda305.com Member

Post by aerojack7654 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:39 pm

No, no experience on these bikes at all. I have 73 cb350 and a 79 Suzuki GS1000, both of which steer much more "linearly" off center. The Dream seems to fall into the turn much more so than any bike I've ever ridden. Am I to assume by your question that this is a characteristic of this bike?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:15 pm

The bike has a totally different design than the bikes you have offered.
When going in a straight line and you apply the front brake you will find that the bars come up rather than go down.
This type does have a totally different feel as you make turns. ............lm

aerojack7654 wrote:No, no experience on these bikes at all. I have 73 cb350 and a 79 Suzuki GS1000, both of which steer much more "linearly" off center. The Dream seems to fall into the turn much more so than any bike I've ever ridden. Am I to assume by your question that this is a characteristic of this bike?

pknopp
honda305.com Member

Post by pknopp » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:05 pm

These bikes are also relatively short wheel based which is also going to give you a more "squirrely" feel. To me they are really a step between a scooter (which if you have ever rode one of them, the Dream seems perfectly stable) and a more modern designed bike.

bloodweiser
honda305.com Member

Post by bloodweiser » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:01 pm

what brand of tire?

I noticed the same thing. I think I had some very vintage yokohama whitewall tires (for sale if anyone is interested, personally had them up to an indicated 80 mph!) and the steering feel very normal - put on some heidenaus and the steering is more like how you describe. Still, more confident doing "80" on them then the old ones.
--------
'63 Dream
'68 CT90 (x2)
'76 RD400
'06 Xl1200R

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home