Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Question re: generator cover screws

OldHarley
honda305.com Member

Question re: generator cover screws

Post by OldHarley » Thu May 31, 2012 1:43 pm

I just bought a 1964 CA72 Dream. In doing a preliminary once over, I noticed for some reason, two of the three generator cover screws are missing. I sure don't want the cover falling off, so I went to get some replacements at the local hardware store.

Here is the problem: My parts book says 5 x 16 Oval head, but the 5m x 16 I found at the hardware store has too fine a thread, and actually is a little longer than the one screw I do have.

Anyone have an idea what the size actually may be? Book PN shows to be 93700-05016, Honda code 0056275.

Thanks

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Question re: generator cover screws

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu May 31, 2012 2:02 pm

The screws were JIS and what we get today are ISO.
Totally different threads.
I restore these bikes and have started to tap the parts with the ISO tap.
I do grind the tap sort of flat at the end so I can get threads deep. ........lm
OldHarley wrote:I just bought a 1964 CA72 Dream. In doing a preliminary once over, I noticed for some reason, two of the three generator cover screws are missing. I sure don't want the cover falling off, so I went to get some replacements at the local hardware store.

Here is the problem: My parts book says 5 x 16 Oval head, but the 5m x 16 I found at the hardware store has too fine a thread, and actually is a little longer than the one screw I do have.

Anyone have an idea what the size actually may be? Book PN shows to be 93700-05016, Honda code 0056275.

Thanks

OldHarley
honda305.com Member

Post by OldHarley » Thu May 31, 2012 3:45 pm

lm,

Aha! That would explain it.

Has it been your experience that these are going to be hard to find in JIS with the parts numbers?

Or, do you recommend re-tapping like you have done, since I only need these and a few other screws here and there.

If so, maybe we could meet halfway, say in Austin, and you could bring your tap :-)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu May 31, 2012 6:09 pm

At times they come up on eBay but ya will find many other JIS screws on the bike and ya will find those are tough to get also.
Come all the way and I'll offer a good bed and super food for free. ..........lm
OldHarley wrote:lm,

Has it been your experience that these are going to be hard to find in JIS with the parts numbers?

Or, do you recommend re-tapping like you have done, since I only need these and a few other screws here and there.

If so, maybe we could meet halfway, say in Austin, and you could bring your tap :-)

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Thu May 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Damn, do you have a brother in the So Cal area?
LOUD MOUSE wrote:At times they come up on eBay but ya will find many other JIS screws on the bike and ya will find those are tough to get also.
Come all the way and I'll offer a good bed and super food for free. ..........lm
OldHarley wrote:lm,

OldHarley
honda305.com Member

Post by OldHarley » Thu May 31, 2012 10:09 pm

"LOUD MOUSE"At times they come up on eBay but ya will find many other JIS screws on the bike and ya will find those are tough to get also. Yeah, the three generator cover screws I need are there now for $19.99 + shipping. Yikes!!
Done! When is the Kerrville Bluegrass Festival, so I can work it into my schedule?

jerrybb
honda305.com Member

Generator screws

Post by jerrybb » Thu May 31, 2012 11:28 pm

I went non-stock and am very happy with the change. West Marine stores have a really good selection of stainless steel screws, and they have a nice phillips oval head (I think 10/24 or 1/4-20, can't remember the pitch or size) selection. Just tap the holes for ISO and you're done for prob less than $3 and they look great. I also did it on the points cover with a different thread, I think. Maybe OSH has some too if you're not near a West Marine.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home