Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Whitewalls, port-a-wall inserts. tires = confused

jimpapa
honda305.com Member

Whitewalls, port-a-wall inserts. tires = confused

Post by jimpapa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:15 pm

figured i'd like new tires.
i'd like whitewalls but coker is crazy expensive, and most here say the tire quality is crappy.
so after reading a lot of posts it seems the trim inserts are the way to go.
but what insert with what tire????
others have said the port a walls come either 1" or 1 7/8" but on the kendas its either too wide or not wide enough.
someone mentioned 1 5/8" i think but i cant find that post again to re-read what they did.
does anyone have a suggestion for a type of tire/insert set that work well together?
i've spent the last two hours looking for any post that says what would be a ggod combination.
thanks

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:58 pm

KellieLyyne
honda305.com Member

Post by KellieLyyne » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Well, I know from experience that those portawalls come in different sizes. After liking the way that jgregg's looked I ordered some Kendas 671's and some portawalls from Universal tire. Im not exactly sure what happened but when I got the portawalls they were too wide for my tires. So, I went on EBAY and bought some other ones. Let me say this, those ones were CRAP OLA.....

So, what I ended up doing was trimming the ones from universal tire down a tad and that is what I am running. They look great and everyone comments on how good they look on the bike. They can't even tell they are fake whitewalls. Ive had the bike up to 70 mph and I havent have any problems with the portawalls. Plus they clean up really nicely. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

My finished Dream by bruceandkellie, on Flickr
Last edited by KellieLyyne on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimpapa
honda305.com Member

Post by jimpapa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:32 pm

KellieLyyne,
did you use the 1 7/8" ones?
and you mentioned you trimmed them, how much did you trim and how did you do it?
by the way your bike is gorgeous.

and the apex seat in your picture is the one thing i disparately want , alas apex just says sold out and doesn't respond to email request on when or if they would be available again.
do you know anywhere else one could purchase one?. i want it so bad i would pay a stupid amount of money for one.

KellieLyyne
honda305.com Member

Post by KellieLyyne » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:00 am

Yes we used the 1 7/8" portawalls, and we had to trim about 1/4" or so off. We mounted the tires and portawalls, and trimmed them with a razor knife, while spinning the wheels on their axles. We thought that doing it this way would be the best way to get a uniform "circle". We found that when you install the portawalls its nearly impossible to get them "perfectly" centered. So after a few attempts we were satisfied with the mount, and then trimmed them accordingly. Becareful when ordering your portawalls, because depending on the vendor, they measure them differently. About my seat, I got mine through Apex, but I know they aren't selling them any longer. However, there is a good source of seats that are similar to mine but are solid black. I will add a link to the website that has them. Good luck with your project. And again thanks for the compliments on my bike.

http://www.narleychoppers.com/servlet/t ... ock/Detail

jimpapa
honda305.com Member

Post by jimpapa » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:33 am

do you know if that seat you linked to would require a special bracket for the dream?

KellieLyyne
honda305.com Member

Post by KellieLyyne » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:35 pm

yeah Im pretty sure you will need to make a bracket for it. Ive seen aftermarket brackets that would probably work, on ebay.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home