Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

305 dream no lights

Fryer
honda305.com Member

305 dream no lights

Post by Fryer » Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:39 pm

Hi I have never had an electrical issues with my 305 dream before but this year I needed a new battery so put one in and I have no lights at all. No headlight, signal, tail or even neutral light. If I set the light switch up to the top on key position 4 the headlight will come on but still have no other lights. Checked to make sure everything got hooked up at the battery and checked all other wires for obvious breaks but everything visually looks good. Electric start works so am kinda at a loss of where to start. Wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this or an idea of where to start to try and fix it.

GrahamH
honda305.com Member

Re: 305 dream no lights

Post by GrahamH » Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:19 pm

The starter circuit is independent of the other circuits. From the battery there are just two connections, to terminal BAT on the main switch and also to the rectifier. If you have 12V at BAT then try disconnecting the wire from the rectifier. It may be a coincidence that you have had to fit a new battery but if the rectifier failed then this would lead to no charging of the battery. Also run the engine and measure the voltage at the battery, it has to be over 12v to charge and should be about 14v when riding the bike.
Do you have the wiring diagram and the switch matrix?

Fryer
honda305.com Member

Post by Fryer » Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:22 pm

I have found a wiring diagram on here. Haven’t had much time to try and figure it out tho. Just weird that putting a new fully charged battery in and have not a single light work

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:50 am

I think that this is a clue to your problem. The wiring in your bike is 50 or so years old and the wiring around the battery is in an area disturbed most often because removing and installing the battery is done fairly often. Look for a connector that has been accidentally disconnected or a wire that has been flexed too many times. If it's just the lights then it may be at or near the main switch. Most often problems like this have very simple causes.

If you don't have a multimeter, get one and learn to use it. They're cheap and very helpful.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home