Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Replacing condenser 67 dream 305

dreamneworleans
honda305.com Member

Replacing condenser 67 dream 305

Post by dreamneworleans » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Guys,

If you see my previous couple of posts you can see how I got to this point. I am planning on replacing my condenser. I know this requires, at least, lowering the motor to get to the condenser location. This is in the 1st time category for me as a novice mechanic.... I would appreciate any tips.. Can the motor be lowered partially to get to the condenser? Any good sources for parts... I know of Ohio Cycle..

Any information is great as always.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:05 am

In order to test that you really need to replace the condenser (and the work that entails) just connect a new one in place and mount it temporarily anwhere you can secure it. That way you can avoid the palaver of dropping the motor.

You can try David Silver for parts.

https://www.davidsilverspares.com/

Classic Honda Restoration

http://classichondarestoration.com/

Or eBay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... r&_sacat=0

Have fun!

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:20 am

My 67 Dream still has the same condenser that it had when I bought the bike at a junkyard 20 years ago - bike still runs fine....

(points & coil also the same)

Remember, the more mysterious the problem, the simpler the solution.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

dreamneworleans
honda305.com Member

Post by dreamneworleans » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:35 am

I'm glad to hear your bike is working great. Mine was too until this. I have tried a lot of what I think are simpler solutions. Do you have any suggestions?
Nick wrote:My 67 Dream still has the same condenser that it had when I bought the bike at a junkyard 20 years ago - bike still runs fine....

(points & coil also the same)

Remember, the more mysterious the problem, the simpler the solution.

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:54 pm

I haven't read anywhere in your posts that you properly cleaned the carb. Until you've done so, all bets are off. No shortcuts allowed in the troubleshooting process!

Here's my earlier post on the subject. All steps must be followed.

"There's more to 'cleaning the carb' than simply checking that the jets are clear. The carb must be completely stripped (all jets, floats, needle-jet holder, rubber removed). Then soak in lacquer thinner (not carb cleaner, solvent, etc. -- lacquer thinner! Yes, I know, it's expensive.) for 20 min or so, then blow out with compressed air.

After soaking be sure to give the air-screw orifices a good blast with the air. No got compressed air? Then take your carb while it's still soaking in the thinner down to your local gas station or repair shop, beg then to blast your carb with air right after you pull it out of the thinner. If you tell them it's for a fifty-year-old Honda Dream they'll probably feel so sorry for you that they'll do it for free.

How to check if your pilot circuit is plugged: Once you get the bike running, use the idle screw to set the idle. If it won't idle at low rpm, set the idle a little higher. If turning the air screw has little or no effect on the idle speed, the pilot circuit (low speed circuit) is plugged.

That would also explain the hard starting, as the engine is getting no fuel when starting.

Try putting some gas in a hand sprayer, shoot a small amount down the carb throat and try starting it. If the bike starts, runs briefly and dies, it's the carb. If the engine still won't run, it's electricical."

Remember, no shortcuts! Obsessive personality traits are a must.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:54 am

Try putting some gas in a hand sprayer, shoot a small amount down the carb throat and try starting it. If the bike starts, runs briefly and dies, it's the carb. If the engine still won't run, it's electricical."
DO THIS FIRST. .....................lm

Nick wrote:I haven't read anywhere in your posts that you properly cleaned the carb. Until you've done so, all bets are off. No shortcuts allowed in the troubleshooting process!

"There's more to 'cleaning the carb' than simply checking that the jets are clear. The carb must be completely stripped (all jets, floats, needle-jet holder, rubber removed). Then soak in lacquer thinner (not carb cleaner, solvent, etc. -- lacquer thinner! Yes, I know, it's expensive.) for 20 min or so, then blow out with compressed air.

After soaking be sure to give the air-screw orifices a good blast with the air. No got compressed air? Then take your carb while it's still soaking in the thinner down to your local gas station or repair shop, beg then to blast your carb with air right after you pull it out of the thinner. If you tell them it's for a fifty-year-old Honda Dream they'll probably feel so sorry for you that they'll do it for free.

How to check if your pilot circuit is plugged: Once you get the bike running, use the idle screw to set the idle. If it won't idle at low rpm, set the idle a little higher. If turning the air screw has little or no effect on the idle speed, the pilot circuit (low speed circuit) is plugged.

That would also explain the hard starting, as the engine is getting no fuel when starting.

dreamneworleans
honda305.com Member

Post by dreamneworleans » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks Gentlemen. I had gone back and done a proper cleaning of the carb as per another comment... I posted this but it doesn't look like it saved. I will try "gas spray" method you mention... but I think the carb, jets, etc. are all very clean. The idle and mixture screws had been in the same place for a year when the bike was running smoothly. So I'm not sure about that.. As for the Obsessive personality traits... I don't have OCD, but I do want to get the bike running again. I miss riding it on a regular basis. Thanks for all your help and more suggestions are always welcome. For the record, I have ordered a condenser just in case.

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Try putting some gas in a hand sprayer, shoot a small amount down the carb throat and try starting it. If the bike starts, runs briefly and dies, it's the carb. If the engine still won't run, it's electricical."
DO THIS FIRST. .....................lm

Nick wrote:I haven't read anywhere in your posts that you properly cleaned the carb. Until you've done so, all bets are off. No shortcuts allowed in the troubleshooting process!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home