Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Difficult to find Neutral, funny clutch shenanigans

nevernotbusy
honda305.com Member

Difficult to find Neutral, funny clutch shenanigans

Post by nevernotbusy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:10 pm

So she runs! She's idling just fine. Ran it down the yard a few times, and I did run into some squirly clutch issues.

I can usually kick it into first and pull off, though sometimes it feels like it catches a little and wants to shut off. Additionally, when I come to a stop and kick down and back up to find Neutral, it still feels in gear.

I have to kick up and down a few times until I sometimes find Neutral. My Neutral light is out so its a bit more difficult to tell because of that as well.

Am I getting the procedure wrong? My last ride was a 65 vespa, with the clutch on the left hand (twist kind) so I could be botching the method of finding neutral once again.

I'm thinking next time I run it, maybe I could refill with oil on the clutch side, and try again.

One success at a time!

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm

Have you adjusted the clutch at all? It could be that its sticking or maybe just out of adjustment a bit.

Not sure I follow you on refilling the oil on the clutch side.

nevernotbusy
honda305.com Member

Post by nevernotbusy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Hahnda,

I haven't adjust the clutch yet. I'll run thru the procedure in the manual next time I get a good chunk of time.

Sorry, I meant that the crankcase might need fresh oil!

Very exciting to hear this thing purr!

nevernotbusy
honda305.com Member

Post by nevernotbusy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Interestingly enough, the 305 dream manual has no mention of how to find Neutral. It just mentions the Neutral indicator light being on 'when in Neutral'.

How would one find Neutral on a properly adjusted Dream?

Everytime I think I put it in Neutral it turns out to still be in gear.

Back to the drawing board!

Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:46 am

nevernotbusy wrote:Interestingly enough, the 305 dream manual has no mention of how to find Neutral. It just mentions the Neutral indicator light being on 'when in Neutral'.

How would one find Neutral on a properly adjusted Dream?

Everytime I think I put it in Neutral it turns out to still be in gear.

Back to the drawing board!
It is no different to any other standard configuration gear layout. 1 down the rest up. To find neutral a light half up lift from first gear with the foot. If the clutch is not working correctly or excess gearbox wear it can make it more difficult to find. Sometimes the neutral lights dont quite align with the gearbox too which can lead to suprises.

nevernotbusy
honda305.com Member

Post by nevernotbusy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks! That's what I thought. The light half step up from 1st into Neutral seems to not be working right. I have to kick up and down for a while and thru trial and error I'll eventually end up in neutral.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home