Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Electric start help

Bobs305dream
honda305.com Member

Electric start help

Post by Bobs305dream » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:55 am

Ok so I'm working on the 64 dream 250. I can't get it started with the kick start, just rebuilt the carb and I've been trying to get it to kick over. There's no battery in my bike, I read somewhere that there's battery problems between the 6 and 12v bikes that were built in the earlier years. Somebody I was talking to told me to put jumper cables going from my car battery (running) and connect the jumpers to the leads on the motorcycle, and it will help get the electric start kicking over. I'm afraid of cooking the electronics...I am going to buy a new battery but once again idk what battery to get for the 64. Any help would be appreciated.

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:43 pm

The battery you seek is a JB-2 found on eBay. Use the search feature at the top next to the log in/log out script. Many of the questions newbies ask can be found by using the search function.

http://www.honda305.com/forums/agm-batt ... %20battery

Also learn to use the parts diagrams from CMS in the Netherlands.
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-ca72-dream-t ... partslist/

Parts changed at certain times and most times these will be reflected with frame number references.

HT

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Without a battery your bike will not start even if you use the kickstart. The bike needs a battery for ignition.

Do not connect your bike to the car battery while its running. I have jumpstarted bikes from a car battery while its not running but wouldn't risk it while its running.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Jump Start

Post by conbs » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:32 pm

All the C72/77/78 are 12 volt. C71 dry sump, 1960 and prior are 6 v. IIRC.

As I understand it a car battery has too much amperage for the original selenium rectifier so you shouldn't use it to jump your Dream. I think you would be okay using a battery charger set at no more than 10 amps. Anybody disagree?

Or, you can use a charger set on 2 amps and kick start it.

I also think I remember reading somewhere that a Dream will start without the battery in it. It seems like I read that in the owners manual.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home